Codes ?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by pickeral, Apr 19, 2007.

1. pickeral

pickeral New Member

What is the differance of the several "Codes" track I see advertised? Over the years I bought N Gauge track several times,several dealers,yet never knew of any diff.,other than brass,or nickle silver.

What does that Code mean?
  2. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

"Code" means the rail height in thousandths of an inch. So "Code 100" rail is 0.100 " tall, "Code 83" is 0.083" tall.

This makes a difference when you're concerned about the scale appearance of the rail.

This site has a table that summarized it nicely:
  3. baldwinjl

baldwinjl Member

The two common codes in N scale are 80 and 55. Code 80 is the most common, and has been around a long time. It looks ok, until you see code 55 next to it. Actually, many people think that code 80 looks fine after ballast and scenery. Code 55 is relatively new to the mass market (it has been available for some time, but more a specialty item) as Atlas now produces it. Some wheel flanges hit the spike heads on Atlas code 80. There is ongoing debate on where the fault is, do some searching on forums and you can see it, but it does look good. Read and learn. In my opinion, for starting out, and if you really expect to be restarting after a practice try (that was me, anyway), I'd start with 80. Others may think differently. (I'm working with 55 now).

4. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Shifting from British OO to American N, I went straight to Atlas Code 55. It really does look better.
    If you have older stock with deep flanges, wheel changes are relatively easy (with a magnifying glass!), and wheel sets are easily obtainable from the normal outlets.
    Peco do a Code 55 that doesn't mind deeper flanges, but it is based on UK prototypes and the tie spacing and turnout layout doesn't look US at all.
  5. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

What else can I say???????? this is the bare bone facts already given.

If it weren't so expensive I would go Code 55.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

When a new scale is started, the suppliers make track with the smallest available rail. Or with a rail that will provide a sturdy track for small hands. The modellers are so delighted to have any track at all that they don't worry about the very heavy rail. Then smaller rail becomes available and the old stuff looks crude. The same happens with wheels.
    But just go to a toy train meet and see how happy they are running Lionel on track that hasn't changed since the 1930s.
  7. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

He's right. I'm an O scaler as well, and I'm stuck on the 3 rail concept. sign1
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

What's your point? :D
  9. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

And some how it still seems to please us :thumb:

I'm not to sure how it is ( seeings as how I'm also an N scaler ) but some how it does.

I think my thing is, is that sfter getting upset at the fins details of N I know I can revert to O/G to do nothing but Running with no worires :rolleyes: :D
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

All I was suggesting is that dead-scale rail isn't a guarantee or pre-requisite for happiness.
  11. fifer

fifer Active Member

LOL LOL LOL:thumb: sign1 sign1