Code 83 or 100

Russ Bellinis

The "code" tells how big the rail is. Code 100 is the older style. It is oversize for most scale operations, but may be necessary if you have some of the older European equipment like early Rivarossi. Code 83 is closer to the correct size for class 1 mainline track. If you want realistic sizes for industrial sidings, you need to go down to code 70 or even code 55.

Triplex

Code 83 is closer to the correct size for class 1 mainline track. If you want realistic sizes for industrial sidings, you need to go down to code 70 or even code 55.
And those are for the modern era. Most old-time modellers probably don't use correct-size rail - Code 40 would be appropriate for a 19th-century mainline.

zedob

Triplex said:
And those are for the modern era. Most old-time modellers probably don't use correct-size rail - Code 40 would be appropriate for a 19th-century mainline.

Did you ever try to work with Code 40 flextack? I had some HOn3 that Railcraft(?) made years ago and it was frustrating. It's so fragile and hard to curve smoothly that I gave up on it. Looked good, but I'm not into surgical cow milking. I seem to recall that some loco flanges hit the tiny spike heads. Although I model early 1900s, I'm using code 70 for my mainline and 55 for sidings and branchline.

shaygetz

I use C100 so that I can run all equipment manufactured at all times in the hobby, some of the ones I own are 40-50 years old. Jeuof, Fleischmann and Rivarossi are my biggest offenders with some serious "pizza cutter" flanges. C100 is also prototype for some stretches of 135 pound rail used on the old Pennsylvania RR, close enough to where and when I model for me.

Triplex

Did you ever try to work with Code 40 flextack? I had some HOn3 that Railcraft(?) made years ago and it was frustrating. It's so fragile and hard to curve smoothly that I gave up on it. Looked good, but I'm not into surgical cow milking. I seem to recall that some loco flanges hit the tiny spike heads. Although I model early 1900s, I'm using code 70 for my mainline and 55 for sidings and branchline.
I'm not an old-time modeller - I'm not even in HO anymore - but I always remember that there are modellers with other interests than mine. Anyway, I do have a personal interest in small rail because it's useful in smaller scales.

zedob

By all means use it. I was referring to that particular batch I had bought and how difficult it was to work with. I have no idea what is available for the smaller scales flextrackwise and if they are easier to form. If you are handlaying it probably wouldn't be as bad.

Pooh Bah
Zedob: I remember back in the early 60s someone warned us to check the code 70 rail carefully as it had a tendancy to come through twisted as it was so small.
Shaygetz: I took an old Fleischman steeplecab to run on Interurban's Action in Traction layout and it hung up in the street trackage: huge flanges, undergauge wheels, who knows what else. The pantograph worked well.