Code 80 to 55 transition joiners

guyvanwettering

Jun 4, 2007
Beauregard Alabama
Hey, I was just wondering does anybody know if someone makes a transition rail joiner from atlas code 80 to code 55? I know that I have alot of code 80 flex track from my earlier layouts that I could use on my staging yards and helixes. It would save a lot of money if I could reuse all of this code 80 track.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
One page that I was reading had people put the rail joiner on the code 80 track, the lay the code 50 track on top of the rail joiner and then solder the tracks together. Not a true conversion joiner, but I guess it works.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Peco track is different -- their code 55 is in fact 80 of rail with two sets of flanges, the lower "25"'s worth buried in the ties to make only 55 visible, which solves various problems. (1) it's as strong as code 80, (2) the ties don't have to have as high plastic bits to hold the rails on so you don't get problems with large flanged wheels, and (3) the rails meet exactly, you can just use a normal joiner to join 80 and 55 at any point (the ties step up rather than the rail head, if you see what I mean).

Anyway, code 80 to 55 converters for Peco aren't going to be any use to you for Atlas track. As was said above, just solder your joiner to the 80 track and sit the 55 on top, blob of solder and Bob's your auntie's live-in logder...

Charles