Code 55 - Atlas vs. Micro Engineering

bentgen

Mar 2, 2006
www.billbentgen.com
Does anyone know if Atlas & Micro Engineering code 55 rail work together? I'm disappointed in the performance of Atlas turnouts out of the package (work fine after some tweaking), but thought I would try my hand at one of the FastTracks kits and hand build a turnout.

I've asked the question on the FastTracks forum but there seems to be low activity there.

Bill Bentgen
http://www.billbentgen.com

Palmisano

Apr 2, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've thought of trying some fast track turnouts myself. But I've never liked the looks of handlaid track in any scale because of the lack of tie plate and spike detail. I'm sure that if you properly built a fast tracks turnout, it would perform better than the Atlas code 55. I wish that Micro-Engineering would come out with come code 55 turnouts to match their fabulous flextrack.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Central Valley makes a nice semi handlaid tie/track system that IMHO looks better than any handlaid track. I must agree with Palmisano that handlaid track isn't that good looking compaired to what is now available.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Ooops, sorry. I didn't look and see that this thread was under n/z. I guess what threw me off was the fact that I've never heard of anyone handlaying n scale track. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, I don't model in N, so I'm not up-to-date on that scale's track laying techniques.

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
I hope to start handlaying code 55 in N scale very soon. It isn't any more difficult than a larger scale.
For HO, there are no tie plates and nearly prototypical spikes available that make premade track look terrible. The plates have even have a spike left out on each plate. It is for using with the near prototypical sized spikes they sell. Really looks impressive. They are available in code 55 and code 40.