Coastal Freighter Emiliana by Mike Edwards

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Huey, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Huey

Huey Member

2. jasco

jasco Member

Beautiful and extensive work, different techniques well explained, well organized web site... all for free! Mike embodies all that is good about paper modelers!
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Nice site Huey...and good to see you again. 8v)
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah.........great find Huey. And again.......... I second Ashrunner...........Great to see you back!

Hope things have calmed down some!
  5. Huey

Huey Member

thanks guy! i do miss being here, the internet is still being tweaked so its not a regular thing for us. things are heating up again as the winter is over and just like bears coming out of hibernation, they are active again just to show us all that they are alive and well and still a force to reckon with.

as soon as we've got things finally set up, i'll be back, until then watch your six.
  6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Huey, thanks for those pages! Almost makes me want to have a go at a ship - it's civilian, it's the right period, it's free, and it comes with a load of good tips such as I have seldom seen collected in one place. - Leif

PS. Don't miss his other web site:
  7. Maurice

Maurice Member

Well the Krakov is is admitted to be just a "twiddle" of a Maly Modelartz. Which means that whilst he could show his build method, publishing his "twiddles" is a naughty.
    How original/highly derivative is the other?
    Methinks perhaps MM have done similar subjects.

8. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I am a bit disturbed about this issue. I may be naïve, but it sure would be most improductive if you couldn't share your own improvements upon a kit deserving those. I realize there's a fine line which shouldn't be overstepped, but if you can't build the ship (or get nowhere near a complete build) from the published set of improvements, I don't see where the harm is.

It isn't as if he scaled, redesigned, recoloured and republished the whole thing. You still need to buy the original kit, scan & scale it yourself, and apply the improvements to that version. In fact, it should lead to renewed interest in an otherwise possibly outdated design.

Don't wish to stir a hornets' nest here. On the other hand, sooner or later I would need advice and clarification on how to share (or not, as it were) similar improvements.

9. Maurice

Maurice Member

There is no "fine line".
    To have designed a paper model requires that you yourself produce by your own hand the underlying 2D shapes that make up to a 3D model.
    Few can do that.
    What pretty colours are placed upon those shapes is virtually irrelevant.
    Those shapes can be "twiddled" and tarted to hearts content.
    Which many can do.
    They remain derivative works of the original not to be published without consent.
    And that irrespective of how much they are "believed" to have "improved" the original.

The information on the Krakow on that site enables a complete model to be built without purchase of the original.

10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

OK. Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Should have checked more closely. The Krakow can be built completely from the part sheets supplied, I see that now. Thus it forms an example of a clear transgression. I completely agree.

As you said in your original remarks, Maurice, his METHOD of making the modifications is still highly interesting, and it could have been shared without publishing the part sheets.

However, that also makes the Krakow a bad example for what I wanted to get cleared up: Would it be alright to share a modification of a part, or parts, of a kit, made with the clear purpose of exactly that, modifying it, and where you could not possibly build the whole model, or come nowhere near it, without also purchasing the original?

Thanks again for steering me right, Leif
  11. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi All

Just thought I would chip in with my two cents worth :roll:

Although it's possible to build the model of the Maly Krakow, at no time does it say download and build it.
    I think having read through the whole thing that the intent is to show how it was done, the modifications that is.

I will say that all the pages should not be shown as this makes it possilbe to build the whole kit. In the context it has been displayed (to be able to enlarge the image) is to see more clearly what has been done, not with the intent to download. (in my opinion)

The only model on either site offered for download is the "Emiliana" that is shown to be an original model.

To an honest person it would not cross there mind that some dishonest person would abuse it.

For me the answer to your question would be yes.
    If you are shaing modifications without the possibility of building the whole kit from it, then I see no harm
    An example would be US destroyer I built a while ago. Without the mod's the model can not be built.

Now which is the rip off, sharing mod's to a kit that can not be finished without it or selling a model you know does not fit!!!!

Anyway thats my two cent's worth, should I duck now :lol:

I will send an e-mail to see if a page or two could be removed

Have fun

Oh and by the way we already do share parts in the parts bin :!:
  12. Maurice

Maurice Member

You'd better.
    The earlier statement
    Has an implication to it.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with your "Theory of Partial Parts"
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

May I suggest you contact our esteem founder of the forum here and ask him what he did. About a year ago, he released a repaint of an Albatross I believe, which required the purchase of the orginal kit if you wanted to make the repaint. I am sure Ron would be glad to steer you in the right direction.
  14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Ash, right on the spot. That's really my problem in a nutshell. I have several (well, two, then) repaints of models which, when I eventually build them, would be nice to share, if there's an interest. So the trick is to device a way whereby you could share a repaint in a way that would require purchasing the original kit, and no getting away from that.

I'll let it rest there for the moment. No doubt there'll be plenty of opportunity to return to the issue if and when it arises.