Coal towers 'under construction'

Mike R

These are two coal towers I have underway, one in 1/2" scale for G gauge [all red cedar], and one for Lionel-O [maple & birch].
They are loosely based , and scaled up from various elements of, the old "Bachmann-Plasticville" H0 units from the late 50's.
regards \ Mike

Mike R

Oops...too many KB's in the "garden" shot....sending a more mundane shot...

Attachments

• coaltwr03.jpg
    coaltwr03.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 279

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Good looking models Mike. I can't imagine what it's like to work in these large scales.
Looking forward to more photos.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by Matthyro
Good looking models Mike. I can't imagine what it's like to work in these large scales.
Looking forward to more photos.
I suspect that one has to eat a lot more cereal and popsicles to work in that scale.:D :D

Great work at any scale. Also looking to see more.

Don

Mike R

Don, I can assure you that no cereal boxes or popsicle sticks were exploited or abused in the making of these models.

For that cedar, maple and birch material, I do use offcuts scrounged here and there, rather than new boards though, it's the right thing to do, especially when one is of Scottish descent.

The only purchased material consists of brass screws & escutcheon pins, and Lepage's Weathergrip Outdoor wood glue.

A basic wood modelers' Rule: NEVER use popsicle sticks...very unsuitable material.

:eek:

Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words,
regards \ Mike:D

Lighthorseman

Excellent!

Beautiful work, Mike!

What are the rough dimensions of the O scale one? I'm wanting to build something similar for an On30 locomotive facility that will be part of my layout in the new house.

If you have drawings or something, could you post them, or send them along to me?

Thanks!!:)

Mike R

Thanks David & Steve.

Steve, I will email you separately on your questions.

Because the '0' Model is being built for a Lionel layout, there are certain non-scale elements that would render it unsuitable for 0n3. It is too large. However, I will send you a few thoughts on how to tackle what you wish to do.
regards
Mike

Mike,

Sounds like a topic that might be of interest. I would like to hear what you have to say. Nice work by the way.

Greg Elems

spitfire

Beautiful Mike. There's nothing like wood in the hands of a skilled modeller, I always say.

I'm also diggin' the blue peg board. That's the exact stuff I was trying to model in the window of Active Auto Parts.

cheers
Val

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
On the O scale tower: that's some fine modelbuilding!
On the G scale tower: That's some fine carpentry!:D :D