coal tipple info wanted

P

philip

The old concrete coal tipple in Irvington, Ky was once a very important structure for refueling the old steam trains. I am wanting to know how the thing actually operated. I understand it had a cart and shaft. What powered the elevator? Any diagrams or information would be helpful. Do any manufacturers make a pulley and chute kit in HO scale. Thanks in advance!

philip :)

Attachments

• dsc00018.jpg
    dsc00018.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 164

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
In this pic, there's four components, on the left, the tall open flatroofed structure covers the "pit" where hopperloads of coal were dumped, The thin highest structure is the elevator. I would suspect that a "bucket" conveyor brought the coal up out of the pit, and dumped it in the coal bunker. Locos would pull up under the bunker, and lower the chutes, and open the gate to fill the tender.
TICHY, has an HO scale coal chute, with associated details, in kit form. It's a nice piece of detail. I used one to dress up a Bachmann plastic coal tower.

Attachments

• waits1.jpg
    waits1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 132
P

philip

Great picture & web Jon! So what type of power did these tipples use to get the coal up to the top storage area? Steam? Electric? The one in Irvington has a sponson mount for a engine or something?

:)