Coal burning powerplant

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Ah Tyson and Shaygetz you guys crack me up.
Ralph, I used button thread for the wires. It is quite a bit heavier than normal thread

SD90

Robin, what did you make the chain link fence from? It, and your whole building looks amazing!

Matthyro

Mike, the fence is made from one of those splatter guard screens you can get to cover a frying pan. I got one at Walmart. The mesh is aluminum so it cuts easily. One screen provides hundreds of feet fencing. I gave it a light spray of flat black paint before cutting. The fence posts are 1/32 strips of cerealboard.

Matthyro

Here are the two steam condensing towers complete and ready for installation on the layout.

Attachments

• sc6.jpg
    sc6.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 279

shaygetz

Now I remember where I've seen those. TLC channel had a show called "Full Metal Challenge". In it, they had converted two of these towers into arenas, one for a bizarre form of soccer, the other for car wrestling. Cool beans, can't wait to see them side by side with the plant for a size comparison.

Matthyro

This is the location on the layout where I will place the power plant. Had to change the scenery some so waiting for the plaster to cure.

Attachments

• pp12.jpg
    pp12.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 237

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Point a hair drier at that plaster so we can see the finished scene! :) That's a real nice backdrop by the way!
Ralph

Matthyro

Here it is in its home. Track needs painting and ballasting and a lot of foiliage to be added before this scene is complete

Attachments

• pp14.jpg
    pp14.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 230

Matthyro

This shows the frame of the coal unloading dock. Will work on it tonight. Next will be some piles of coal and conveyer to get the coal to the power plant

Attachments

• pp13.jpg
    pp13.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 209

davidstrains

Originally posted by Matthyro
Here it is in its home. Track needs painting and ballasting and a lot of foiliage to be added before this scene is complete

That is a beautiful shot, Robin. It looks almost real just the way it is. :) :) I am definitely going to "borrow" this structure for my layout.:D

shaygetz

Excellent! Reid brothers eat yer heart out. No doubt you're kibbling the right combination of soda straws, hook rug netting and other various and sundry packaging devices into a working rotary dumper, right?

Matthyro

Three views to give you some idea how this powerplant looks on my layout. It's pretty much done now but I am sure there will be pictures to come when the foreground gets completed.

Attachments

• pp15.jpg
    pp15.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 177
  • pp15.jpg
    pp15.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 176

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That looks terrific Robin! I've enjoyed the step by step story leading up to these final pictures. Very nice. I think this is the first time I've seen your custom MAT power in action too!
Thanks for all the pics and descriptions of a fine model!
Ralph