Coal burning powerplant

ezdays

Out AZ way
Robin,

Lookin' real good. I'm particularly interested in the transformers since I plan on scratch-building a switching sub-station. At Verne Niners suggestion, I went to a craft store and bought a bag of beads to use for insulators. They look ideal for N scale.

I am also interested in that router lathe. Where did you buy that one? Can you post, or PM any other data such as manufacturer and model number? I'd appreciate it. I've been toying with buying an inexpensive bench-top lathe, but I think it would to take up too much room for the use I would give it plus it wouldn't have the versitility of that router lathe.

Don

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thanks guys.
SD90 I have been at this for about two weeks now.
Don, I had a look at some beads but they were all a bit big for N. Pleased to hear you found some.
Here is a picture from the owners manual for the Sears Router Craftsman

Attachments

• lrl.jpg
    lrl.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 233

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thanks Robin, I will follow up on the lathe. I hadn't taken the beads out of the package yet, but since you mentioned it, I got one and measured it. The insulators that came with my Kato transmission towers measures about .08" (12.8") while the beads are a bit larger at just over .1" (16") so I'm thinking that they wouldn't look too big on a breaker or transformer in a sub-station. Let me know what you think about that size.

It's been a long time since I was in an electrical distribution facility, and when I was, I never thought I would need to know the size of the insulators.:rolleyes:

Don

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Great stuff Robin!!!!!!!!

The entire Building is great!!!!

I couldn't help but notice the "giant Pillsbury Dough Boy" (elmers Glue) ready to destroy it though! :) Better call the Ghostbusters. LOL

Or. at least. your local kid that eats paste. :D :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Matthyro

The size of those beads would still be a heavy weight insulator but thats ok for modelling purposes. I would prefer to have something around 12inches Don but I don't know if beads could be made that small. In the case of the high voltage distribution in the photo below, I actually used some small gauge insulated wire.
Thanks Mikey. The LPBs are satanding by with high voltage wires to light up the Giant Pillsbury Dough Boy.
I am not sure of the different voltages used for long distance transmission but in this case I am guessing 30,000 volts. The wires from here will be connected to a tower that I still have to build

Attachments

• pp11.jpg
    pp11.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 275

Tyson Rayles

Robin you just get better and better! That is really one more fantastic building. This is one of the reasons I let my mag. subscriptions expire, you don't ever see things like this in the mags anymore. All they seem to do is promote spending as much $$$$ as you can.

Matthyro

Thanks guys. Tyson, I don't get model railroader or other model mags either. I prefer to get Trains or other real railroad mags because they have great photos.
There are three more items to be added to this structure. First, a conveyor to bring the coal from where the coal piles are. Next a couple of steam condesing towers. Then a couple of high tension towers to carry the current to the grid system.

Matthyro

I haven't seen any steam condensing towers here in Canada. There were many in South Africa where water must be conserved. I noticed a couple of them in the background of the recent British Open golf tournament.
I couldn't find a good picture to show what the real ones look like but I think you can get the idea from this lousy photo I got out of a book. I am making two of these to go behind the power plant so will make them a little smaller than they would normally be. Just to give an impression of depth.

Attachments

• ct.jpg
    ct.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 247

Matthyro

I then put a bolt through the middle hole and mounted it into my drillpress to begin shaping the tower

Attachments

• sc4.jpg
    sc4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 217

Matthyro

A tower shaped and glued. I cut a circle in the top section and will shape a finer lip when glue is cured.
Next step will be adding the frame work around the bottom disk and then painting .

Attachments

• sc5.jpg
    sc5.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 212

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Robin,
I'm really impressed with your efforts at stringing wires on the transformers! I gave it a shot with mine and opted to let my imagination fill them in! Nice work. I'm a bit confused about the steam condensing towers...aren't they just used in nuke plants?
Nice how-to with the disks though!
Ralph

Tyson Rayles

Ralph if you travel the Bee-Line Expressway on the south side of Orlando, Floriduh (you know the place where they can't figure out how to vote) (by the way all you Floriduh residents save sending me your hate mail as I am a native of that state(now you know whats wrong with me! :D ), if you look to the north towards Mickey Mouse world there is a power plant with a couple of these towers. They are HUGE, you can see em' from a couple miles away. I thought it was a nuke but in asking around I was told it was coal fired.

shaygetz

I'm gonna slam my head in a door repeatedly if you tell me you turnaround and use the sawdust for ground cover:p Great stuff, man, just great, can hardly wait to see that finished.