Coal breakers in Northeast Pennsylvania

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
About 5 to 7 years ago, I visited 3 old coal breakers in NE PA. Dozens of photos were taken, some in color, some in B&W. Here is the first of the 3. It is called "St. Nick". It is located in Saint Nicholas PA near Hazelton. I will show a few photos and then clickable links to the other photos as not to make the page take forever to load.

stnick4.jpg

stnick5.jpg

stnick6.jpg

stnick7.jpg

Click on the "St. Nick" links below for more photos.

St. Nick 1
St. Nick 2
St. Nick 3
St. Nick 8
St. Nick 9
St. Nick 10
St. Nick 11
St. Nick 12
St. Nick 13
St. Nick 14
St. Nick 15

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Fantastic pics, Blake! Thank you for posting them.

I love to look at pictures of old industrial plants. It's always fascinating to see the ingenuity of the constructors of the past. And it is saddening to see such a plant deserted and slowly falling to pieces. To think, that a few years ago hundreds of men had a workplace there... :(

When we build an industry like that on our layouts, we are creating a sort of a memorial of the old technologies.

Ron

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
good pix. the name of the plants is preperation plants ,seperate coal fron rock(slate) dries it and crush it to steam coal size or what ever size called for if for stoker coal (heating coal) there would be a oil coating .

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I remember...

...coal being delivered to my grandma's house up intil the late 60s- They still had a coal stove for cooking. Grandma didn't know any other way to cook. A cast iron stove right there in the kitchen. I loved having "helped" the delivery man by staying in the basement to direct the coal chute and it's load. Nothing like the roar of coal on a chute to make the blazes like hell. Live on brothers, Hell ain't half full!

Since we're so "modern" and at times "PC"- not, the coal crackers of PA salute the heritage.

Blake, I love that shot- reflection of a breaker in the puddle. When I first looked at it I thought it was airbrushed or something. Then, duh-...

Mark

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
You must be gunning for a Pulitzer with that puddle shot, very, very well done shots. FYI for you HOers, code 100 rail IS prototypical for modeling many areas of the Pennsylvania RR during the 1950s. That's why my pike is modeled as a branch of it---nobody has to worry if their equipment will hit the tie plates either.