Coal and Trains

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
This is a very interesting site for several reasons; first there is the history of the Cherry Mine disaster then there is some great history and photographs of the C.M. & ST. P. RR.
[FONT=&quot]The coal from this mine was used primarily for the steam locomotives of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. Read how one man went back in time to create a HO layout of the Cherry Mine.

[/FONT]http://guitarjourney.tripod.com/cherrycoalminedisaster/index.html

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Very sobering and interesting. I've flown in combat, but the thought of entering a mine day in and day out really rattles me. I admire all those who have and still do go into the mines. It's amazing that you don't hear about this disaster much if at all.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Herc Driver said:
Very sobering and interesting. I've flown in combat, but the thought of entering a mine day in and day out really rattles me. I admire all those who have and still do go into the mines. It's amazing that you don't hear about this disaster much if at all.
I could never do it either,of course back then I wouldn't have had a choice most likely.

Interesting story and very somber.Strange,when I think of St. Paul I don't think coal I think grains,produce and timber.It's weird to me that there was a coal mining co. in St. Paul.

Chris