cnr rs series diesels

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello all---between 1953 and 1957,the cn purchased 45 rs 3's and 51 rs 10's .aside from the different carbody styling, they both shared the same 244 engine and were rated at 1600 hp.41 of the rs 3's and all the rs 10's were built by the montreal locomotive works.four rs 3's were built by alco for use on the cn's us lines (2 to central vermont and 2 to the grand trunk)

class MR16a---rs 3's 3005 and 3017

trueline67063004_654488.jpg

trueline67064005.jpg

2908062009.jpg

rs10 3079

290806004.jpg

when MLW introduced the alco designed 251b engine in 1956,the 12 cylinder 1800 hp version was put into the distinctly canadian rs10 carbody with feather-edged hood ends.the new locomotive became the rs18.cn originally identified their first order of rs18's as model rs 11m as these units were mechanically similiar to alco's rs 11's

rs 18---class mr18b #3632

sunday003.jpg

mr18d #3743

rsseries001.jpg

as a member of the cn sig ,i found all the information for this thread in their magazines---for anyone interested in the canadian national railroad,i highly recommend this organization

hope you enjoy ---thanks,cn nutbar

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
What great looking diesels! I really like the high hood units. The detailing on these is really amazing...how much detailing items were added (if any)?

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi herc---thanks for responding---#3005 received quite a transformation by doctor wayne---hopefully he will respond with the details---i purchased #3743 a few years ago at a local train show---it started as an atlas rs 11 (notched corners and all ) and was transformed into a rs-18---a lot of work went into this unit---surprisingly,doctor wayne had nothing to do with this one so i can't provide any details.soon after i purchased #3743,proto 1000 came out with the cnr rs10 and rs 18 units ready to run---apart from the weathering,there pretty much stock right out of the box.#3017 is an atlas model that was factory painted in cn---doctor wayne renumbered this unit and added the weathering and added a custom made bell hanger (similar to #3005)

BTW---when are you heading north :D

a couple more shots from doctor wayne's EG&E
dieselsontheege020.jpg

dieselsontheege056.jpg

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Ya know what really gets me...the weathering of only the springs! Ok maybe that's a small little detail...but that really sets the whole engine off as so realistic. Sure the detailing is superb, but it's those little things like those rusty springs.

(Just so you know doctor and cn nutbar...I'm looking at these pictures close and learning how to weather much more accurately than my efforts now show...thanks for the impromptu weathering tutorial.)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If I recall correctly, 3005 is one of the very early diesel paint jobs that I did for my friend. I think that the only modifications were a scratchbuilt bell on the front of the long hood, and a pair of Cal Scale markers, used as class lights. The paint is SMP Accupaint and the lettering was done with their Accucals. These sets provided enough lettering to do several diesels, and included several diagrams of different hood units of CNR, GT, GTW, CV, and DW&P. Unfortunately, the only diagram for an RS-3 was for a GTW loco. Not knowing much about CNR, I simply substituted "Canadian National" for "Grand Trunk Western" on the side of the long hood, unaware that the CNR placed it as you see it on 3017. It was quite some time later that I learned of my mistake, and although I offered to correct it, Mister Nutbar opted to leave it as is. The number on the side of the cab was re-done, as I had mistakenly used the older-style font, which was the same as that on the 1806 in the same photo. I think that 3005 was also numbered in the 1800-series before the make-over. The 1806 is mine, and was reworked to match a photo provided by Mister Nutbar. I've made several attempts, but can't seem to get a decent picture of it. I'll try again later, and if successful, add the picture and a bit of info.
As nutbar mentioned, I didn't do the 3743, although I did do several similar conversions for the LHS.
Herc, as far as the springs are concerned, it's a very easy way to "pop" the detail and it also works well on freight and passenger cars, too. They're done with a brush, using whatever rusty colour is at hand; usually boxcar red. The airbrushed weathering that's applied later tones them down a bit, and on the layout the effect is quite subtle. In photos, the camera makes them stand out a bit too much.;) The best effect is achieved when the paint isn't too thin and when the brush just catches the moulded coils.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here are a couple of shots of 1806. It's an early Atlas which was factory painted for L&N. I removed the lettering, then did a few modifications to the shell. All of the grab irons were replaced with metal parts, and the handrails were cut from between the stanchions. I drilled out the stanchions, then used brass wire to create a new set of handrails. Both ends got new number boards and m.u. hoses.
20032007081mostlypassengercars012.jpg

The fireman's side, shown, (these locos ran long-hood-forward) got a new scratchbuilt battery box in front of the cab, which necessitated a modification to the handrail. The louvres came from my scrap box - I think that they may have been an optional detail that came with some old Revell HO scale autos. The airhorn is from Miniatures by Eric.
20032007081mostlypassengercars017_347062.jpg

The loco was painted with SMP Accupaint, and lettered with Accucals. Weathering is Floquil, applied with an airbrush.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
rrol61 said:
nutbar:wave:, NICE ALCO's!:thumb:
I agree 100% with...MY DAD!:eek::D
NICE ALCO's nutbar!:thumb: my favorites are the high hood units;). GREAT SHOTS!, nutbar & Wayne:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
UP SD40-2 said:
I agree 100% with...MY DAD!:eek::D
NICE ALCO's nutbar!:thumb: my favorites are the high hood units;). GREAT SHOTS!, nutbar & Wayne:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano

Doh!! I missed that. Double doh!! Welcome to the Gauge, Dean's Dad. :wave: :wave:

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
joesho said:
cn nutbar,do you have brass track?

All of nutbar's track is nickel-silver: that's just the colour that he painted the rail. :) One of these days, we may get around to putting down some ballast, too. ;)

Wayne

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Really nice modifications Wayne...

I'd should buy an airbrush...just to capture that gentle weathering look that you've mastered. It looks so great and natural. Except for latex on a 1:1 house, I'm not the greatest at painting anything as small as Nscale...and so far, practise hasn't made me any better. But seeing what can be done with an airbrush, boy I'm tempted. Although I do remember how many times you've written before that you dry brush items as well (just another aspect of weathering and detailing I haven't picked up the knack for yet). Ah well...for now, I'll stick with chalks and keep practising on train items of lessor value than diesels.

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
good day everyone---whenever i post a thread on the gauge i am always appreciative of the responses from the members ---thank-you all---i would especially like to acknowledge a response from a new member---rrol61(fm man)---i am very honoured that your first post was in response to one of my threads---welcome aboard the gauge and thank you---i have often said this is the best railroad web-site going and it's because of great members who all share a common interst and passion for model railroading---keep those pictures coming and happy railroading---regards to all,cn nutbar