CNR Consolidation

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by zigzag_i, May 30, 2008.

1. zigzag_i

zigzag_i New Member

I need some help with a little project I am planning.
    I have a Spectrum consolidation and I plan to convert it to a Canadian National engine.

I still don't how far I want to go in this project but I am gathering all the information possible.
    If somebody have done this before I will be interested in seeing the result and have a couple of hint.

My main question is where is the best place to fin photos of CN consolidation that will be the closest match to my Bachmam Spectrum.
    My other question is for somebody who know more than me in steam engine. In this photos there is something behind the smokestack. Does anybody can tell me wath it is ?

thanks for your help

2. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

OK, you're in for a bit of a project if you want to do more than just repaint it to CNR.

First, you have to understand that that loco is not (as near as I can tell) of a specific prototype. It was based on something that could have been put together from the Baldwin catalogue, and the locos that came closest to looking like it were a class of 2-8-0's built for the IC.

The "problem" for you is that this model is a high-drivered consolidation. That is, the drivers are 63" in diameter. Most consolidations were built with 55-57" drivers. This goes for Canadian National ones too. The picture you linked to is a class M3e, which had smaller drivers, and a smaller boiler.

You'd be better off trying one of the N class consolidations, since the driver dimensions are closer to the Spectrum model's.

You should look at the locomotive diagrams on the CN Lines Special Interest Group website. Their CNCyclopedia has a wealth of info that will help you with this project.

As for the thing behind the stack, I believe it is the water delivery check valve. This would prevent back-flow into the injector from the boiler when water was being added.
  3. modelsof1900

modelsof1900 Member

This thing positioned between stack and sand dome is the feed water check valve. In this case seeing the engineer's side the insulated feed water tube comes from the cab however below of window you can see the injector.
    The feed water check valve should have a more connection to a second feed water tube coming from the feed water pump or in this case from a second injector positioned on fireman's side below of the cab.

Read also the newest discussion about feed water systems in DoctorWayne's thread Building Beeg Boy....

4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I'm currently working on converting a Bachmann Consolidation to a CNR N-2-b, but for a reasonably close model, there's quite a bit of work involved. ;)

Here's a photo, by Al Paterson, of the prototype:

There are several other classes of CNR Consolidations that can be built from the Bachmann loco, but all begin with the class designation of "N" - denoting drivers larger than 58". All "N" class locos on the CNR had 63" drivers.

5. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

I'm glad you jumped in here Wayne. I wondered about the N2 classes, but couldn't find any handy pictures of CN ones. The DW&P N2a's look very similar to the Bachmann loco, to my eye (although I haven't got one to hand to compare with the pic).
  6. doctorwayne

Here's a picture, by W.H.N. Rossiter, of one of the N-2-a locos.

I had intended to build two of these from the Bachmann loco, but letter them for my own free-lanced Grand Valley. I'm undecided at the moment whether to do so, or build just one as a DW&P loco, and the other as one of the various N-5 class locos. I really like the look of that exposed Coffin fwh, though.

7. zigzag_i

zigzag_i New Member

Thank you very much for those information its really appreciated.
    The two photos are very helpful and I have already downloaded them on my computer.
    Wayne, I can see with the picture of yours that your are going for a major modification. I don't think I will replace the dome for my project. but If I have sufficient documentation I may be going for an exact replica.
    Anyway. If you can keep me updated with your project I will appreciate it very much.

Merci beaucoup.

8. doctorwayne

Glad to be of assistance, Luc. When the project is complete, I'll post a thread similar to the "Building Beeg Boy" thread. I also have a couple of 10 Wheelers, 3 other Consolidations, a Pacific, and a 2-6-6-2 to rebuild. Some will be similar in scope, but some will be even more involved. ;)

9. zigzag_i

zigzag_i New Member

I Finlay started to work on this project. I'm not going to make an exact replica but it will as close a possible. I like the 2476 and I chose to make this one.

Doctorwayne, do you have by chance a photograph of the other side of this engine or a very similar one?

The 2458 don't have the elesco feedwater heater, so I guess the piping is different.

10. doctorwayne

If you need a photo of the other side of the 2476, Ian Wilson's "To Stratford Under Steam" and "Steam at Allandale" books both have some good views, or you can contact Al Paterson for photos of the particular engine in which you're interested. His prices are reasonable and you'll get a better view of the details in the actual photos, too.
    All of my loco projects have been set aside as I re-work and/or replace much of my rolling stock, so yours will likely be finished long before mine. In fact, to get mine as close to the way I want them will require modifications to both the boiler shells and the interior cast weights.
    I currently have 45 freight cars in various stages of paint and lettering, with only another 50 or so after that. :eek: Most of these also involve fairly major re-building before painting, so I may be a while with the locos. :psign1
  11. zigzag_i

zigzag_i New Member

Thanks Doctorwayne.