CN moves the Army

interurban

So my son -in - law Phones homeand tells me "theres a C N with Army stuff waiting on the tracks in Ajax".
So I said " here is the Camera go get it":D
You got to train(pun) these young guys. ;)

So Here are Heaths Pictures.:p :p
Lead Unit is 5342

Attachments

• p3090001.jpg
    p3090001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 194

K.V.Div

Great Shots, Chris

Back When 3rd PPCLI was based at Work Point in Victoria, the battalion would ship its heavy equipment by rail to Wainwright, Alberta for the annual wargames.
Once I figure out how to post some of my old photos, I will fire off some of CP loading up and assembling the annual army train in Victoria.
This train was made up of about 40 x 89ft Trailer Train flats, each carrying 2 or 3 peices of equipment, depending on the size of each peice and pulled by 3 x GP9 units.
The entire train, including loco's and caboose was about 3,800 feet long and while it pales in comparison with the mainland trains, it is still 3 times the length of any siding on the entire E&N and, indeed taxed the capacity of Victoria's yard.
Cheers!

Terry

Pooh Bah
Terry:
How did CP get the equipment from E&N to the mainland? That sounds like it would take a weeks worth of train ferries.

K.V.Div

Hi Dave,

Once the train arrived at Wellcox yard in Nanaimo, It was loaded onto a couple of the large ferries that were used either by CP or Seaspan and sent over to The Front Yard Slips in downtown Vancouver, made back into a full train and sent on its way.
The ferry trip was usually about a day, including loading and unloading
These ferries are capable of carrying 18 to 24 of the 89 ft flats and all are now owned by Sealink (Part of the Washington Group of Montana Rail Link fame).
They still ply the waters of the west coast, serving what is left of the E&N:(, and several kraft and pulp and paper mills up and down the coast.
By the way, the front yard's west end, including the ferry slips are long gone to make way for the new development on the waterfront such as the new convention center and, probably expensive condos.
Most of the rail barge and ferry traffic is now shipped to Tilbury Island in Delta.
Cheers.

Terry

rsn48

If you can recall, CN had an armoured plated engine during WW2. My Uncle Don Hardikopf was one of the engineers on it.

interurban

Hi Rick I dont suppose you have any pictures of the armoured plated engine?:)
May be some one has an Idea of how we can obtain one???:D :D

Is there an archive gallery we can search?:eek: ;) :p

rsn48

I'll sic my son on the picture search, he's the railfan guy, I'm the model railroader guy. He should come up with something. I've seen pics of it before, just can't remember if it was in a mag or not.

Lighthorseman

Just in case anyone's wondering, here are what you're looking at...

......excluding the locomotive shots, of course.....
Photo 1.) --"Badger" engineering vehicle
Photo 2.) --"Beaver" bridgelayer (bridge spans usually on another flatcar)
Photo 3.) --M109 self-propelled howitzer
Photo 4.) --"Grizzly" AVGP (Armoured Vehicle, General Purpose) and towed 105 mm howitzer
Photo 5.) --MLVW and LSVW
Photo 6.) --M113 Armoured Personnel Carriers

Of all these vehicles, only the LSVW, in photo 5, on the right, is less than 20 years old.

interurban

Yes very intrested

Being x reserve from the UK 1969 to 1974 with the Royal Corps Transport:D
Here is a shot that reminds me of you:D
Thanks for the infomation Lighthorseman.

Attachments

• p3040063.jpg
    p3040063.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 48

Pooh Bah
Steve:
How did the Canadian Forces get something less than 20 years old?
(Probably collected off the battlefield in Kuwait.)