CN Geep movies

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
CN GP9 movie & pic

Ok, here we have 2 chop nose Geep's with a hi nose in the middle. Technically the lead and the last are supposed to be a Geep 9's but are really a GP18's. As I do like the chop nose's, Tyco and the like were passing them off as GP9's.
The lead is my very first Tyco locomotive sitting on a Walthers Trainline chasis. The tyco "guts" were completley shot. Had a buddy of mine do all the detail work to get her back on the rails. She even has sound although in the movie the mid P2K Geep is a bit louder than the lead.
The trailing Geep has no sound just power. Found out something odd too. When I hit bell or horn, the trailing Geep's lights flicker with the sound. NOt sure what's up with that, anyone experience that?
The pic here I lit with two strobes with gels on them to simulate early evening and "dragged" the shutter to burn in the ditch lights.
This scene is from my friends layout who I thank for letting me run on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7fdY0wmex4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY0aH7B_brg
By the way, hauled my absolute longest train with these three the other day. They hauled 50 cars all weighted to spec and they didn't even slip or anything. All 3 are completely calibrated and no one pushes or pulls on the other. All 3 are very heavy to hold in your hand. Very close to almost a pound of weight each.
Thought I'd share with all and had a great time shooting these scenes.:wave:

Attachments

• CN Geep 9.jpg
    CN Geep 9.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 104

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
VERY NICE ENGINES!!!AND LAYOUT TOO!!!
By the way, hauled my absolute longest train with these three the other day. They hauled 50 cars all weighted to spec and they didn't even slip or anything. All 3 are completely calibrated and no one pushes or pulls on the other. All 3 are very heavy to hold in your hand. Very close to almost a pound of weight each.
Thought I'd share with all and had a great time shooting these scenes.
wave.gif
thats a long train,with some monster heavyweights pullin it!very nice vids heath.hope to see more soon.--josh

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Good movies and nice models! Your friend's layout's pretty durn nice too!

Just to cement my reputation as a nit-picker... your first unit is actually a GP20. It's got a single, rectangular turbocharged exhaust stack behind the 1st fan, where the GP7's, 9's and 18's had 2 stacks, in the middle of the long hood. ;)

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Bigsteel-Thanks a mill. appreciate the comments
Gary S. Thanks for you kind words.
Ocalicreek. I shot it with one of my digital cameras, a Minolta A2 that's no longer made. Most camera's have a movie feature. To keep the size of the movie down to a reasonable size for upload to You Tube I had to shoot it at 15 frames per second. Next time I think I will shoot at 30 frames for a bit less jitter on the run by. I always use a tripod as the exposture is quite long for greater depth of field when I shoot my still frames.
Squidbait-Thanks for the correction. I do like the GP9rm, the rebuilt chop noses but as no one makes a GP9 chop nose I had to settle for the next available likeness. I heard that P2K is suppose to be coming out with one but have had chronic delays on tooling in China, so the rumor mill goes. Thanks for your comments too, appreciate it.
Will post some more movies and pix if anyone is interested.
Take it easy all!!

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi Heath:
Have you got any more pictures of the bridge in your first message? That looks quite interesting and I would like to see it from the side?.etc
dwight77

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Hi Dwight,
Will have to check and see. If not, good excuse for me to do another photo shoot. Will see what I can do.
Cannonball-thanks. Will try and post some more in the next while.
Hopefully QSI will have their chip upgrades on the Geep's and I can get a authentic GP9 diesel sound and horn. Until then still love to get these units out in the mountains with a small way freight between two small towns.
I guess ideally should be running SD40's but do like 'em Geep's. Think someone recently made a posting with the title "Addicted to Geep's" and I should count myself into there too.

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi again Heath: One reason I am interested in your bridge is that on my layout, I have four wooden trestles, a couple of thru timber bridges, and I have one other area that I was thinking I was going to have to go with a steel truss bridge. Your bridge appears to be a truss bridge but not made of metal?..possible wood. And if I can go with another wood structure I would much prefer that situation. So I would like to see it from the side and also get an indication of the length of it in scale feet....I presume it is HO scale.
Thanks again.
dwight77

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Hi Dwight,
As this is my buddy's layout, I'll have to ask him what he used and try and take some more pix for you.
Layout is HO.
I think it's approx close to 100' scale feet long but will check. (Note to self, remember to bring scale ruler)
Take it easy.
Heath