clutch engagement

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by mastmec, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastmec

mastmec Member

Anyone know difference between putting the clutch shoes on leading vrs trailing. What difference does it make?
  2. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

I don't think that it would make a difference at all. Seeing as the centrifugal force pushes the shoes outward and contacts the bell. With the slope on the shoes being almost equal and the point of contact being just about the same I doubt that there will be any slippage past what already occurs. Perhaps it will engage a little sooner or later because of the different mass displacement but I doubt that it will be noticeable. But ya know sounds like a neat little test... You gonna try it? Let me know.
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

I have put them on both ways, usually when having engine problems and just putting them on different. I've never really noticed any difference, but carb problems all the time didn't help either(finnally fixed) The setup sheets from losi have it listed as a setup, I'll do some more testing and see. Thanks
  4. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

No prob let me know though. Now you got me curious...
  5. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

I have used both leading and trailing on my savage and the leading edges hookes up much better, it takes a little run time to wear in to the right contact patch but it does work better, it eats up shoes pretty quick.(leading) If you want crazy hookup you can take a little fine grit sand paper to the inside of the clutch bell and scuff parallel to the crank shaft. (not in a circle, sand perpendicular to the leading edge of the clutch face) This makes crazy hook up but I had to go to alloy clutch shoes for that one cause it is a shoe eater! Leading edge is definately more but it must wear in first before it is better. You will find that if you try it one way you will need new shoes to see if it works the other way because the shoes wear differently.
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.