Close Up On "Shiney, Faceless People"

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Drew1125, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

We've been talking a little about how getting up close on our scale figures kind of brings out some unrealistic characteristics in them...I thought I would show an example of this with this extreme close-up of a couple of workers on the dock at Leigh Foods.
    To put some perspective on this, it's N scale, & this entire scene isn't much bigger than my thumbnail.

Attached Files:

2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Charlie, great looking scene and very close for N-scale.
    Here is a pair of my H0 lads all at work on my logging layout.

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Wow Shamus!
    They're not shiney or faceless!
    Woodie was kinda ridin' me about my guys not having faces, but I thought...with the size that an N scale eye, nose, or mouth wouls have to be...why bother? I have a hard enougth time painting their little shoes & hats!!:rolleyes:
    Anyway, thanks...I thought the scene held up pretty good on "close" examination!:) I did notice the spot on the window glazing, & the chinks in the styrene floor that I can't see withyout magnification. But hey, it's a big ol' busy factory, & it's bound to have some rough spots right?
  4. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Not only do they have faces, painted eyes and are not shiny, but the guy on the left has a crease in his pants! Even lumberjacks need to be well dressed, I suppose.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day!
    My face is painted, my nose is real, and my pants are nicely creased. I've got shoes, a pickaxe, too, and I'm shiny not in the least!"

5. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Yes Rory, where is that lumber jack? If he's the one that dresses in womens clothing, wears high heels, suspenders and a bra. That's the one I want. For the unmentionable for the washing on my clothes line!
  6. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Well, I thought it was appropriate since the lumberjack in the photo above is from the UK, and so was the one who originally sung that song! :)

-Rory (ni!)
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Charlie and Shamus:

If nothing else, you guys are brave! I wouldn't want my modelling exposed like that. Mine's not at that level yet.

Apparently, the late John Allen took a photo of a friend's locomotive, blew it up many times, and said "Every place you can look at the photograph and can tell it's a model is an opportunity to improve your skills."

Or maybe to get rid of your camera.
  8. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi David!
    I agree with you that the camera reveals things that I wouldn't necessarily see otherwise. (good and bad) However I don't think that any facet of my own modeling would stand up to the kind of scrutiny you spoke of. You see, I'm a half blind guy in his 40's modeling in N scale, so I have to have somewhat of a "that's good enough" philosophy. This is, after all, model railroading, & there's no way I'm going to convince anyone that it's anything but a model.
    I was just having some fun with the camera, & regardless of how much, or how little my modeling skills improve, I'm not getting rid of the camera! :)
  9. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Your picture is great, and the model being N scale is super.
    I bet that seen from two feet or more away it looks perfect.
    The only fault I can see is you didn't use bellows on the camera, if you had we would see "Gauge Ind" on the crates!:) .
    How about a re-take???? :D