Clockwork- operated models in H0?

TEP 60

May 1, 2005
Were any clockwork- operated models ever available in H0? It's known, that clockwork- operated models were widespread before electric operation development in the larger scales.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I would be surprised if there were any clockwork ho scale models. Ho scale came out after the larger scale models and toy trains were available electrified. Also clockwork trains were for children who were considered too young to play with electric trains. Ho would have been considered too small for those young children to play with.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I had a crude HO gauge train in the 50s that must have been clockwork -- I don't remember batteries and it wasn't electric. Metal track (similar to AF) and there were 2 poles that it spiraled up and then down.
I know that there was clockwork in OO gauge from England. Hornby Dublo started with clockwork and electric models of a Pacific and 0-6-2T. I have a later clockwork tank engine. I'm sure even TriAng made a clockwork loco in the 50s.
I think there were still places that didn't have an electric connection until well after the war, and there were mothers who wouldn't trust their precious with a wall plug.