Clear Glue - Strings Attached!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by JRSeese, Feb 11, 2004.

1. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

OK, last new post for today. I am really becoming a pest!

I bought some UHU paper glue since the master craftsmen of Europe all recommend it so highly. How do I stop it from stringing all over the place? I feel like Spiderman by the time I've glued the part.

Maybe I'm just a slob! :lol:

2. When you figure out how to prevent it from stringing let us know. I think you will be the first :wink:

PS, what exactly is the UHU glue you are using (say that 5 times real fast). Type, stock number, etc. :?:
  3. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

UHU Creativ craft glue for cardboard & craft paper... in a 5" (12mm :)) yellow tube with a black cap. Don't see a product code or number, but there is a message that says "keep card for future reference." Ooops.
  4. 57townsman

57townsman Member

5. jcvandenbergh

jcvandenbergh New Member

Here in Holland they sell the 'normal' UHU but also "UHU extra gel"which has exactly the same qualities as the regular one but... no more sticky fingers, no more stringing. I suppose it should be available in the USA.
  6. brightform

brightform New Member

glues - anyone know August der sterke klebstof?

We obtained (in Holland) a glue called August der sterke (german tube) which is just about the best glue I have ever used as a professional builder with years of trying just about every other glue. Problem is we baught about ten tubes in a knock down sale store and now the shops gone.
    We know tht it was polled in the german schools some time ago.
    Does anyone know where we can get hold of August der Sterke?
    Very gratefull for any help

7. Ron

Ron Member

8. Boris

Boris Member

I had this problem of stringing. You can try to use bamboo tooth picks to apply the glue , but for me stringing ended only when I shifted to White Glue . I'm still using UHU glues (I use UHU Balsa) as a replacement for SuperGlue in some cases
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good Day All,

White glue seems to be what I use the most. Glue use is dependent on the situation at hand (and sometimes what is not on hand at the time). Cleanup considerations and whether it won't stain the finish is one real concern especially when the model is nearly complete. This is one reason I like to use solutions which avoid using freehand clamping which I consider to be the gateway to joining disasters. The use of small diameter drill to bore holes in both the body and the piece to be joined using bamboo pegs is something I use a lot. It solves the positioning, rotation and the avoidance of clamping requirements for quick and painless part joinery. It may seem like more work at first but goes along quickly with not much practice. I make up a supply of bamboo pegs every once in awhile and keep them handy for just this purpose. The glue for this method can be just about any that will work though I prefer CA for the purpose. A drop on the peg then insert into piece to be joined, a drop on the end of the peg and the piece is then inserted into the main body and you're done.

Low density polyethylene stick glues, like Uhu, are great for covering stick models with silkspan or Japanese tissue. Just smear the glue on the surfaces that you wish to mount the cover on. You can use it dry as it doesn't have to be moist for this (although it helps). Cut your tissue to approximately the size with a little left on the edges to get your fingers on. Take a regular clothes iron or modeling covering iron and set it to around 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Tack the tissue to the glue covered frame with the iron working around the frame as you go to pull all wrinkles out. The iron will melt the glue which will flow into the tissue and will become permanently bonded together once cool. Got a wrinkle? Just reheat and pull smooth. The paper can be slightly moist while being attached. It will then shrink taught when dry. I haven't used any other method since. Silkspan on a card model is a distinct possibility....,

Best regards, Gil