Cleaning rolling stock?

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Hi,

I managed to get my hands on a bunch of 2nd hand rolling stock. BUT, this stuff is DIRTY!!! So, what's the best way of cleaning it? I was thinking of warm water with a little dishwashing liquid, and lightly scrubbing with a cloth. Any ideas / comments?

Thanks

Evan

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
dirty

Evan said:
Hi,

I managed to get my hands on a bunch of 2nd hand rolling stock. BUT, this stuff is DIRTY!!! So, what's the best way of cleaning it? I was thinking of warm water with a little dishwashing liquid, and lightly scrubbing with a cloth. Any ideas / comments?

Thanks

Evan

Is it Dirty or weathered?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
screwysquirrel said:
Is it Dirty or weathered?

Same thing to me :D :D :D

Assuming they are modern plastic cars, dishsoap should be safe, unless it's weathered or painted with water based paint or chalks and they failed to spray a protective coating on top. Be gentle on decals. Try the one you like least before proceding with the rest.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I remove the Trucks and floor, then scrub the parts with warm water and a little dish washing liquid with a soft tooth brush. Then blow dry them with a hair dryer.
Watch how much heat you use, you can melt or warp the plastic.

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Dirty - not weathered

Hi all,

The chap I got them from had them stored in an open box, out of their plastic boxes, in a garage, for about 3 years. That's how dirty!!! :)

I'll try over the weekend. Will also take before and after photo's, so we can all see the difference, if you like.

Cheers

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Evan said:
Hi all,

The chap I got them from had them stored in an open box, out of their plastic boxes, in a garage, for about 3 years. That's how dirty!!! :)

I call that 'pre-weathered!'

I'll try over the weekend. Will also take before and after photo's, so we can all see the difference, if you like.

Cheers

Go ahead and post some 'before' pics, so we can tell if it needs cleaning

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,after being in the open in a garage for 3 years I suspect they need a good washing..I use lukewarm water and mild dish washing detergent to clean my cars and then I rinse and air dry the cars.