Cleaning rolling stock?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Evan, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Evan

Evan Member

I managed to get my hands on a bunch of 2nd hand rolling stock. BUT, this stuff is DIRTY!!! So, what's the best way of cleaning it? I was thinking of warm water with a little dishwashing liquid, and lightly scrubbing with a cloth. Any ideas / comments?

2. dirty

Is it Dirty or weathered?
  3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Same thing to me :D :D :D

Assuming they are modern plastic cars, dishsoap should be safe, unless it's weathered or painted with water based paint or chalks and they failed to spray a protective coating on top. Be gentle on decals. Try the one you like least before proceding with the rest.
  4. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I remove the Trucks and floor, then scrub the parts with warm water and a little dish washing liquid with a soft tooth brush. Then blow dry them with a hair dryer.
    Watch how much heat you use, you can melt or warp the plastic.
  5. Evan

Evan Member

Dirty - not weathered

Hi all,

The chap I got them from had them stored in an open box, out of their plastic boxes, in a garage, for about 3 years. That's how dirty!!! :)

I'll try over the weekend. Will also take before and after photo's, so we can all see the difference, if you like.

6. I call that 'pre-weathered!'

Go ahead and post some 'before' pics, so we can tell if it needs cleaning
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

Well,after being in the open in a garage for 3 years I suspect they need a good washing..I use lukewarm water and mild dish washing detergent to clean my cars and then I rinse and air dry the cars.