Clayton Point light tower....

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
That's awsome looking wire. I repeat, that is a really cool project. Throw some oyster shells around the site and it'd be a dead ringer for any number of remote Gulf locations.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I appreciate the kind words, guys.

The firefly circuit is assembled and tested. While I had hoped for something a bit less strobe like, it will do for now. Overall I'm pleased with the effect and the Baka Electronics kits are satisfying to assemble---once you get past their halting command of the English language, i.e. "THE FIREFLY CIRCUIT IS FLASHING CIRCUIT AS USED TO DECORATE FOR NIGHT, WHICH IS FLASHING CONTINUE. THE CIRCUIT IS USED TO THE LAMP 3 VOLTS FOR RESEMBLE THE FIREFLY." I wish I was kidding...

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
If I'm not mistaken, "Baka" means "Fool" Japanese...I guess it applies to the translator, Geez! :D

I've constantly wondered when Razor wire came along (was it the 1970's?) and how to model it, and that's a splendid job Sahygetz, and I must congradutate you on your wonderful work that easily rivals those meticulous German models! Good Job! :thumb:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Great work! :thumb: What amazes me is that such a little scene will no doubt make a big impact on the layout "look". Really, really great job of modeling. (Would a very thin coat of elmer's glue on the light bulb knock down some of the brightness and diffuse the light?)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I love your workbench/reading material shown in the razor wire how to picture. I wish I had the multitasking ability to read while I worked - especially that book!

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
That installation will be as secure as many military installations. The LPB's will have quite a time trying to get in there to paint the tower, tank, or do any other mischief. Very nice light assembly. I have marked this one to possibly use on my layout.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I appreciate the compliments, guys, I really do.

Miles, I believe razor wire came into vogue in the early 60s during our visit to Vietnam. It made for a quickly installed, secure perimeter when run in a 3 by stack around the firebases that could easily be left behind. Ran a few feet of it in my daze as an MP:thumb:

Happy Birthday, Rayballoon6

Herc, I usually frost all my glass with a light coat of DulCote, makes for a nice dirty window look and save me from having interior details in all but the biggest buildings. I wanted it to be remote, away from alot of other buildings and such so it was important for me that it hiold its own as an attention getter. The final scene will have a very small drainage canal, a small pier and a run down cottage---the only structures within 4-6 feet on either side of the finished layout.

Thanks, David. Where it is going on my layout is fairly remote so I gotta keep them taggers at bay.

TrainNut said:
I love your workbench/reading material shown in the razor wire how to picture. I wish I had the multitasking ability to read while I worked - especially that book!

:thumb: I do alternate between studying and model work though I am guilty of having some brainless mind candy on the tube from time to time..."Deadliest Catch" or something from the History Channel:thumb:

The fencing is now painted and the oyster shell paving is still wet from the scenic bonding method I use. Next up is the chain link fabric.

Attachments

• clayton24.jpg
    clayton24.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 139
  • clayton25.jpg
    clayton25.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 141

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
great effect Bob>:)

Ribbon wire(Razor being a brand so I was told) had its first crude form in WW1 by the Germans. Concertina wire is just ribbon wire in a preformed loop that made it easy to use.

shaygetz said:
I appreciate the compliments, guys, I really do.

Miles, I believe razor wire came into vogue in the early 60s during our visit to Vietnam. It made for a quickly installed, secure perimeter when run in a 3 by stack around the firebases that could easily be left behind. Ran a few feet of it in my daze as an MP:thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Finished...whoo hooo:thumb: Noticed the one corner came loose and have since fixed it. I did tie troublesome corners with a fine steel wire that seems to help hold it on top. I plan on modeling the outside perimeter of an ammunition depot or prison as I do like the effect of the razor wire.

Attachments

• clayton22a.JPG
    clayton22a.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 80
  • clayton23a.JPG
    clayton23a.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 80
  • clayton23.jpg
    clayton23.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 80