Claudio's and Ron Caudillo's models on ebay

Discussion in 'Internet Auction Offerings' started by Ron Caudillo, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trekcreations

Trekcreations EnterpriseCreations

I find it ironic that a few folks are crying about copyright infringement, all the while infringing on others.

Or perhaps I am wrong. Were any rights to sell paper models on Ebay acquired? Was Paramount asked for permission?
  2. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Oh, yawn. :sleeping::sleeping:

I'm afraid your missing the point. These models that are pirated aren't always necessarily copied from something like Star Trek or other big names. They can be totally original and a creation of the designers imagination.

The problem is that someone comes along and takes that creation and sells it without permissn of the designer.

This is what this discussion is about. Not whether it's right or wrong to create a model from a movie or TV show such as Star Trek and then sell it or give it away for free.

Hell, that topic can be a long and painful one. One that has been discussed at length on every model forum going probably, with no clear, concise conclusion drawn. Garage kitters for example have been doing this for years and continue to do so. They make a profit from that kind of copyright infringment.

The difference with us papermodellers is that most models based on these kind of subjects are often free to everyone so no pofit is being made. Except for the pirates that is.

That is why we often come together to cmbat them if we can. Just the same as Scratchbuilders ad G'kitters do when they see moels being recast and sold on. So, do they have a right to complain when that happens to them? If they didn't own the rights to sell their mode in the first place?

This could go on it really could. I've had my say and I really don't want to discuss it again. I just felt I had to respond.
  3. Trekcreations

I find it ironic that a few folks are crying about copyright infringement, all the while infringing on others.

Or perhaps I am wrong. Were any rights to sell paper models on Ebay acquired? Was Paramount asked for permission?
  4. Master-Bruce

????? I thought we'd answered this post? Well,just re-read the prvious posts by myself for your response. ;)

Come on Raist? I thought you'd realise this by now? This isn't about one man stealing another mans profits. It's purely about theft of a creation.
  5. Trekcreations

No I haven't. We are talking about copyright infringement. And for the record, I agree that what the Ebay seller was doing was absolutely wrong.

Agreed. So the designs you had on ebay were original designs?

Right...that is a problem.

I did not mention anything about giving models away for free. Seems to me you missed the point of my comment.

So you are not a pirate (Speaking in general) for offering Star Trek designs in paper form for a price on Ebay?

As did I.
  6. Trekcreations

[quote;806563]I think you are missing the point. These paper models were offered for free and some scum was collecting them, putting them on a CD and selling them without permission of the original creator.[/quote]

I did not miss the point. I agree with you whole heartily that waht this ebayer was doing was wrong. My comment was made towards those who make paper models of representations of Star trek ships and then sells them on ebay. A pirate is a pirate.

Hmmm....Never mentioned anything about offering models for free. Seems it was my point that was sorely missed.
  7. Master-Bruce

LOL. I see turn this on me for selling my work are we? Ok

I'm not the one "crying" about infringment though. I'm supporting my friends here. It will no doubt happen to me at some point though. I expect it will, but again am I doing any different to what the garage kit community do?

I never said I thought it was wrong. Only that it has been discussed at length wit no real clear conclusion drawn. People still sell garage kits don't they. Your a part of that community aren't you? So you're saying all your fellow SSM members who sell G'kits are wrong for what they do?
  8. Trekcreations

I'm not attempting to turn the tables on anyone. Just speaking from outside the box.

And that's admirable. I just agree that there are grey areas in every circle.

Not at all.

Yes. You would disagree?
  9. Master-Bruce

Isn't it funny how we three all got along at one point and now...

...Well, we seem not to.

Raist, I don't know what's going on buddy but I'm sorry if I've ever offended you to get this kind of attitude.

Take care now. ;)
  10. Trekcreations

Sigh....I simply shed some light on a contradiction I felt was in play. The points I made are valid. If your going to hammer one form of copyright infringement, you will need to be consistent in hammering ALL forms of copyright infringement.
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK folks - I appreciate the conversation. Trekcreations has his points if you have something of VALUE to add to the conversation please do. If you want to post just for the sake of arguing - drop it and go look at another thread. The going round and about over nothing is more than a bit annoying. I also will not tolerate any attacks on a personal level.

I get stuck offline for a weekend and come back to crazieness..... sigh.... now keep it real folks!
  12. Trekcreations

Hi Chris,

I assure you I would not have made any personal attacks on anyone. And if I have said anything that offended anyone, I do apologize.

Moving on now :)
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

No you did not, I just know how these things can get out of hand... :)
  14. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

This is one of the reasons I try and stay away from the copyright threads. Friends arguing is not good, everyone is entitled to the opinion, but lets not take it to far.
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Trekcreations, so they way you see the copyright issue, just about every card/paper model out on the internet either free or bought, should be taken down. Just about every movie, TV series, car/lorry/bike model's, aircraft, space craft (I could go on) have some sort of copyright place on them.

I don't agree with you. I didn't want to get involved in the argument, but I think you are taking it to far.

CJTK1701, I would quit with this guy, you won't win, he's just going to go on and on about it. People are entitled to their opinions, but he just won't give up.
  16. Trekcreations

I am just trying to show that some times we all turn a blind eye to other copyright infringements. I don't want anything taken down. This forum is a valuable resource. It is fact though that if these card models available for free (or sold) have not gotten permission from the copyright holders, they are indeed in violation of that copyright.

You don't agree with me. That's fine. Not sure though what I have taken too far. I have only debated with one person. And for some reason, this person has seen fit to post personal communications with MODS in a reply.

I'm not looking to win at anything. And I am certainly not twisting anyones arm to reply.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have seen nothing else as adding value here. Its rehashing the same arguments over and over.

If paramount sees our fanart as copyright infringement and requests it to come down it will come down. Everything is freely available. Fan art is what keeps many of these films/shows etc alive and pumping along.

I will not enter into debate as to who can sell what and who is infringing on whom. These topics have been discussed until we were blue in the face on more than one occasion. When we get a copyright lawyer that is into card models then we can get legal advice and not interpretations of non-legal folks. I am not saying anyone is wrong or right - why? Because I do not know. This bickering is pointless.

CJTK - drop it, I did not see a personal attack in anyway nor do I see any link to anyone else from your past issues.

Trek - we are not lawyers - we are here to enjoy cardmodeling. I hope to see some of your work in the near future.

Thread - closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.