Claudio's and Ron Caudillo's models on ebay

Discussion in 'Internet Auction Offerings' started by Ron Caudillo, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hi All,

paper craft model models kit disk full of all kinds - eBay (item 260214454441 end time Mar-01-08 06:47:17 PST)

My Enterprise Bridge is featured as one of the models he shows- and I was the one who took the picture when I released the model!

I also saw Claudio's Batmobile featured in another photo; I'll try to contact him.

I contacted e-bay to turn this guy in and also downloaded a form to fax them officially.

I also set a message to the seller and told him I didn't appreciate him making money off of my (and others) hard work, especially since the models were released for FREE download, and also that he never asked for my permission. I demanded that he remove the listing.

Best Regards,
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Good luck and keep us in the loop on the results!
  3. Ron Caudillo

Thanks for the support!

I emailed Claudio and let him know the details.

I also sent e-mails to everyone in my address book asking them to leave a message with this clown on exactly what they think about it. So far I've gotten 5 responses in 30 minutes telling me they did just that!

Maybe some of you guys would like to join in the fun. If we do this to the pirates we see, just maybe they'd think twice!

Also, I think that I'm going to edit all of my models and have them reposted with this on each and every sheet, "This model is provided FREE of charge. If you purchased it, YOU GOT RIPPED OFF. Please contact the thief who sold you this model and let them know you were ripped off."

Maybe the rest of you designers may consider that too!

Best Regards,
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

What about selling them on ebay for free? Is it possible? You just email the bidder the URL and he goes and downloads it.

edit: I like how you can contact other buyers. You can tell them that they bought models that were free and that by doing so have violated copyright rules on Ebay's site.
  5. Ron Caudillo

The Saga Continues

Thanks Stevo for you suggestion.

I faxed a formal complaint to ebay as I am one of the designers of one of the models this guy uses to hawk his listing.

I checked back at ebay and guess what? The listing is still there but the picture of my Enterprise was removed.

I checked back later and I received a message from the seller:
    Your model is not on the disk I did not realize I had used that pic.

So I replied back to him:
    ALL of the other pictures you show as examples are available for FREE DOWNLOAD. I personally know some of the designers and have reported you to them. It is UNETHICAL to sell models you DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION. What you are doing is despicable! You used the picture that I TOOK when the model was being designed, but even if you were just using it to MISLEAD others to think that it is on your CD to buy your STOLEN patterns infuriates and disgusts me. You are a deceiver and a thief. There are MANY of us designers and builders that constantly check sites such as ebay to insure unscrupulous people such as you are identified and reported by the creators to ebay. We look out for each other. Simply removing one picture from your listing does not justify your attempt to conduct an illegal sale.

I checked back a bit later and saw that the listing is gone. So I clicked on the link I posted in a previous message and I see that ebay shows that it has ended as some poor sucker has used the "buy it now" transaction. But, as Stevo said earlier, I can see who bought it and will certainly contact him and let him know he was ripped off and should leave negative feed back.

Working together, we can help get rid of these pirates! Thanks for everything and your support. You certainly have mine!

Best Regards,
  6. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Thanks Ron for letting me know!

I've also contacted the seller and eBay.

All the best!
  7. Ron Caudillo

Hi Claudio!

I've always admired your work and I'd recognize it anywhere!

Apparently there are 2 Claudio's (maybe more!) in this forum and had contacted the other guy mistakenly. Thanks for getting back to me- you beat me to it!

I did get another reply from the seller though:
    Funny to think they are stolen when they are there for FREE download, which I did ages ago. My children love to see the paper come to life as do many other people. Have you really though about what it is you're saying to me? Free download available to anyone. Well because I enjoy papercraftingthere are many other people who enjoy it too but are unable to download them. Because I enjoy them I thought it would be great to put MY time and MY effort in compiling these paper crafts together and have them available to others who are unable to download them. Do you really think I'm making money off of these? I'm not the only one out there selling compilations. Regardless - there is no more auction, so you can cool your pants.

The nerve of this guy! Going for the sympathy vote by using his kids! I also don't understand how someone who has access to ebay online would not be able to download the models? I checked the seller (ben19692001) and buyer's (gitabyte) profile and they are virtually identical. Neither give their exact location (just have United States), and both have the same exact ebay join date (January 24, 2000)! This guy bought it himself! I for one, will not "cool my pants" because there will be others we have to stop. (Funny how quickly the seller removed the listing after being contacted. He still had 3 days left!)

My reply to him:
    Regardless of your intentions, it is illegal to sell what is not yours to sell. You did not have permission.

Many thanks to William Perry at GoogleGroups PaperModels II for bringing this to my attention.

Best Regards,
  8. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Thank you for your feedback!

'Buying his own item': well, I think this guy will have some problems with eBay soon!

All the best
  9. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

What these guys are doing is wrong and well done for getting him to buy his own item.

This is where ebay will fall flat on it's face, letting people like him sell 'freebies' and people selling copyrighted materials is ebays own fault. They should regulate their sellers better or the goverments will eventually listen to the 'good' people and step in.
  10. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Well done in making the stand against this theft. I have suffered at the hands of Ebay but as a buyer. Their feed back system is not the defence they seem to think it is as if you leave negative feedback the seller can do the same and ruin your rating. I hope your stand will teach a lesson to those sellers that sell without
    Conscience and maybe make Ebay realise that they must take a more active role in the auction arena. I hope that people like this does not deter the generous people like yourself and other designers from still making free models avaliable to all. Goodluck with the crusade and thank you
  11. Ron Caudillo

Sorry about that Joe! In my zealousness, I missed a few good friends (I got to hear it from them too!) Thanks for the support. I bet this guy gets quite a few mails from this! One of my friends replied to me and said the seller left him a reply! He said:
    I am not selling Ron's model. and he has contacted the way did you read the description ?

Lame, lame, lame.

Let's keep up the pressure. When we hear about sellers such as this, it would be cool to FLOOD them with messages letting them know exactly how we feel!

Best Regards,
  12. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

I'm in. Since I'm more of a designer than a builder these days I'm more than happy to show a solid front against these guys.

I know how I'd feel if I were to learn that some punk was making a nice little earner off of my work!

I'll get in touch with this seller too Ron.
  13. Master-Bruce

Message sent! ;)
  14. Master-Bruce

I also got the same response from him. It's as if because the auction is now ended that he thinks there is no more crime!!

He's missing our point I think. He's not said he'll stop doing it.
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I havn't emailed this guy, I did a simular thing a while back with another seller on ebay and I got some very nasty emails back from that seller. I've mentioned it on the forum before, but not actually said what was in his emails. He said that he would bombard me with virus after virus. It got bad enough for me to get in touch with my internet company, so they could stop his emails getting through to me.

I do understand what everyone is trying to do here, but I will never contact another seller direct. I will report them to ebay for copyright violation and I will let any designers know that there work is being sold.

Be careful guys.
  16. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

damn, I missed the party !
    I'll sent a message for him now.
    Thank for letting us know, Ron.

find this pix and others at this blog: StopPiracy
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Well the good thing is that it's not one person coming forth but many voices. The sad thing is that this seller is but one drop in the septic tank that is ebay.
  18. Ron Caudillo

Oh man, this is getting funny!

I can just see this guy (ben19692001) continuing to get message after message, even AFTER he's removed the listing! Serves him right!

Thank you, thank you, everyone for the continued support! I think it would be great if we all do this whenever we find another sale like this.

Joe, I have heard from many that they get a nasty reply from this guy. Myself, I would never contact them using my email address. I created a new e-bay account and use this alias to contact them. No way to get back to the real you. Yeah, he's missing the point of his wrong doing.

I looked back into his feedback history and checked out all items he's sold. Since January this year, he has 1 additional listing to sell this same CD and uses the same pictures (including Claudio's Batmobile and my Enterprise Bridge) to sell it. I'm going to contact the buyer and let them know they got ripped off. Unfortunately, going back into last year and beyond do not show what the title of the listing was, so it is unknown how many others were ripped off.

We designers work long and hard to design new models. Even though we love the hobby and would continue to design just for ourselves, it is better to share with the world. I do not regret giving away my designs but I do not appreciate those who would (try to) profit from my work.

Best Regards,
  19. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Well said Ebay need to be made to except more responsiblity for the transactions.The current system for complaints is woefully inadequate and easily abused, if you leave negative feed back they can do the same and ruin your rating the most obvious thing to do would be to ban the sale of home recorded cds and dvds, the ability to go straight to negative feed back to see why the seller/buyer recieved it and a way to report shady dealing without losing you own rating, men with big sticks would be nice to but that might just be me. I have tried making thesse suggestion to Ebay several times but with no luck so far .
  20. Ron Caudillo

Ebay Response

Hi all,
    I submitted my claim to ebay and got an email asking for more information.

Here is my response:

Hello Siennah,
    I designed a paper model in December of 2006. It is my original work and have it posted on a few friend's websites for free download:

SPACE POD from Lost in Space TV series
    My Sci Fi Stuff
    Click on the "Download paper cut-out model of the Space Pod here!" link.

SPACE POD from Lost in Space TV series
    The B9 Robot Builders Club
    Hover the mouse on the CLUB GALLERY tab
    Click on the "MISCELLANEOUS" selection
    Scroll down the page and click on the "SPACE POD" link

Navigation Page
    Click on the "SCI-FI PAPER MODELS" link on the lower left side of the home page.
    Scroll down and click on the desired model to download.

This listing (#260214454441) is a CD containing original paper models by others, many that I personally know who designed them and also allow them to be downloaded, free of charge. The seller (ben19692001) has also listed this very same CD for sale ending on January 16, 2008 (#260198439517). He has photos of several assembled models (presumably of what is contained on the CD) shown in his listing to entice people to buy the CD. One of the photos is one I personally took of the model as it was being designed.

I DID NOT give the seller permission to sell my design or use my photo. At least one other designer is going to make a formal complaint to ebay as permission was not given his design either.

When I sent the seller a message stating that I was the designer of one of the models and did not give him permission to sell it, he wrote back and said that my model was not on the CD and was using my picture by mistake. He removed it from the the listing.

I replied that I know several of the designers of the other models he has pictured and that I had contacted them to write to him. A few hours later, the listing was removed (it had 3 days remaining) as it had been sold through the "buy it now" option. I checked the buyers's profile (gitabyte) and it sure is funny that the same ebay join date is the same as the sellers (June 24, 2000). It is my belief that his spouse purchased the CD in order to remove the listing.

I can send you the messages sent by me and the seller's replies.

Thank you for your time and investigation into this matter.

Ron Caudillo

--- eBay Customer Support <> wrote:

> Dear Ronald,
    > Thank you for contacting the VeRO Program.
    > We reviewed the Notice of Claimed Infringement that
    > you sent and the
    > listings that you identified, 260214454441.
    > The Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program is designed
    > to process reports
    > of intellectual property infringement. From the
    > information provided,
    > however, the nature of intellectual property
    > infringement you are
    > attempting to report is unclear.
    > If you feel that these listings do infringe on your
    > intellectual
    > property rights, please respond to this message and
    > provide us with a
    > more detailed explanation.
    > If you'd like to report a stolen item, please go to:
    > Stolen Property and Property with Removed Serial Numbers 
    > Thank you for your time.
    > Sincerely,
    > Siennah
    > eBay Customer Support
    > ___________________________________
    > eBay Your Personal Trading Community (tm)

So we'll see what our buddies at ebay will do next.

Best Regards,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.