Classic Paper Planes by Johnson/Austin

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by andrew ferguson, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Can someone give a list of all ten paper model planes contained in this book? I can't find a list anywhere and i'm unsure whether to buy the book or not.

Thanks for any help. :)
  2. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Sorry I cannot list the names but if it is the one my Austin and Johnson, dont hesitate to buy it instantly...great fun book with great kits...dont delay if you ahve the chance to pick one up

John John
  3. rjm

rjm Member

Hello all," Classic Paper Planes", Johnson/Austin has a Blackburn
    monoplane, Morane-Saulnier Type "N", Fokker Dr 1, SIAI-Marchetti
    S55, Ryan NYP, Schleicher Rhonadler (glider), Fairey Long Range
    monoplane, AVRO 560 and Hawker Hart. Michael Johnson also has/had
    one called "Historic Paper Planes" with Gladiator, Hurricane, Zero,
    Bf 109E, Barracuda, B-52, U2R, and B-2. All are die cut with good printing.
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I bought a book with all the same airplanes and it was die cut so chances are pretty good it's the same one. I wasn't to favorably impressed with the fit of the models due to the die cuts. But I will admit that I was quite young (10-12?) and not a very good modeler at the time.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Ok, I have " HISTORIC PAPER PLANES" by Michael Johnson. It is "8 classic airplanes to build and fly, each with die cut parts and full instructions" (According to the cover.
    The book is approx. 8" x 15" of the following models:

Hawker Hurricane
    Mitsubishi Zero
    Mess. Bf 109E
    Boeing B 52 Stratofortress
    Fairey Barracuda
    Lockheed U2R
    Northrup B2 Stealth Bomber
    and the Gloster Gladiator

I have started on the Gladiator, but, due to my work hours recently, not so much the time of work, but the number of hours each day.....about 14 per day, I havent had much of a chance to work on it recently.
    But, The planes are all well done and something I would suggest to any aircraft enthusiast........and besides, you can build them to fly too! However I wont be flying mine, they are strictly for show.

Ok now for the technical info.

The book is published by

St. Martins Press
    175 Fifth Ave.
    New York, NY 10010

The cost of the book was $19.95 when copyrighted in 1991.

I know this isnt the same title you mentioned, but, If you come across this one, Buy it also!

Have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

PS. If/when you do get the book you named or anyother book of this nature, Please allow me to make a suggestion....... Instead of "punching out" the die cut parts, Copy the pages you wish to build and build from the copies. This leaves your book intact and also provides replacement parts when needed. (You can always copy a page again if you mess up).
    And having read the following paragraph about the book I have, here is yet another reason to NOT punch out the parts:

The large size, 10 1/2" x 13 3/4", soft cover book, HISTORIC PAPER AIRPLANES, by Michael Johnson was published by St. Martin's Press in 1991 and is in "as new" condition. "8 Classic Airplanes to Build and Fly. Each with Die-Cut Parts and Full Instructions." ISBN 0-312-07240-6. Included are the Hawker Hurricane prototype, Mitsubishi Zero, Bf 109E, Boeing B-52, Fairey Barracuda, Lockheed U.2R, Northrup (sic) B.2, and the Gloster Gladiator.

These books are now expensive. When originally purchased, the lure of the die-cut parts was too much for buyers; they just had to punch out a part or two. So now to find the book with everything intact is rare, so consequently the price of $150.00. A treasure of a book full of cleverly designed airplanes ready for you to build, or wish you were brave enough to punch them out.
    The above two paragraphs were copied from the following website: As you can see some people take their books conditions very be good to your books and they can/will be good to you.
    By the way, the book I have is also still intact. $$$ Cha ching $$$
  6. i actually purchased the book you mentioned a few weeks ago and am waiting for it to arrive. I got if for a very good price (5 pounds). I mainly bought it for the B2 model but the others will be a nice bonus.

I've tracked a few on auction sites and they ususally go for $10-$20 or so, in good condition. I originally looked for them from internet book sellers and some wanted over $700 for it!! I was totally astounded.

For the classic paper planes book i saw it ranging from $8 to $675, again from internet book sellers. :cry:

Anyway, i always copy my models as i scale them up so i will be keeping my book intact. :)

Thanks for the help, all!
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I see both are available at in the used book section.

several (albeit missing one of the models ) for as little as $4.

I have both books, and are prized possesions, so I am not in the market for either, but if I didn't have my copies, I'd be snatching up these on
    right now.
  8. k5083

k5083 Member

I have the "Classic Paper Planes" and have been trying to get around to scanning the models to print them on card stock so that (1) they'll be easier to build; they come on paper that is too flimsy and (2) I can build them more than once.

Problem is that the way they are printed, the coloring extends past the die cut lines for the parts. Therefore the only way to scan them to create a printable model is to cut out all the parts, stick them to another sheet of paper, and scan that - thus destroying the book. The parts have to be rearranged, too, if your scanner is normal size because the books are larger, and that's time consuming. So far I've done the Hart and haven't gotten around to the others. It's worth the effort though; they're pretty models.