civil aircraft

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Nothing, May 23, 2008.

level of interest for civilian airliners etc.

Poll closed Jun 2, 2008.
  1. huge interest

2. good interest

3. casual interest

4. no interest

1. Jesus

Jesus Member

Yes, you understand correctly. The way in which ink adheres to the foil depends on the printer, in all the time i´m with that kind of models sometimes the ink adheres very strongly and some others not so strongly but always enough to do its work pretty well. If you work with a professional copier, usually they have several modes. In every mode the machine applies some hot when printing. The warmer it does, the better ink adheres over the silver ink but there is a limit when working with adhesive paper because if too hot is applied the sheet can get wrinkled and plenty of bubbles. You have to test it. Remenber that we are talking about black lines over silver ink. Any other detail colour have to be painted or printed over white paper or card and this won´t give you any adherence problem. I always mark the black lines of the panels in the same way that i do rivets but with a striker pin or with a ballpen that doesn´t write. That makes the panelling more real and it doesn´t matter if ink takes out because the marked line will be there. In fact, the lines only show you the way to mark or to put rivets alongside. (The engine of the caravelle is an exception, it is not marked and no rivets have been applied. Only the printed black details over the silver paper as in normal card model).
    Remember that you have to use very glossy and thin white adhesive paper (like used in normal stickers). Adhesive paper is more useful that cardstock printed also in silver. The reference for printing is pantone silver (i don´t remember the number but there is only one).
  2. Thanks, I have called my friend. he knew exactly what you were referring to.
  3. aki

aki New Member

Nice to see your art works again on this forum!!! I've still been wating for the coming up your Trident!!
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Please post more pictures as you go along Jesus!!
  5. gcsmith

gcsmith G. Smith

Those are beautiful in the extreme. Well done!!
  6. scon10

scon10 Member

Well, what I meant was, if you have a large stock of silver printed paper, do you print the black outlines of the parts containing the panel lines etc seperately on top of the silver paper? What I mean is: if you look at the inside of the Caravelle engine, you can see the sound suppression liner plates on the air inlet, so did you print that with an inktjet printer, with a laser printer, or did you draw it with a black draughter's pen?
    Sorry to be so persistent, but I am really impressed and want to reach up to your level... :) (if possible at all)

Attached Files:

7. Jesus

Jesus Member

Hi, no problem if you are persistent. You want to know, and it´s ok. Please be patient...step by step. I understand that you are impressed with all this stuff but is not difficult to do, you only have to know and follow the correct procedure. I assume that everybody in this furum have skills to do that because all of us are doing card models. Making card models and designing them is a lot more difficult that other models (plastic, etc.). The problem here is the materials and the way you combine them. I have seen your Super Constellation and other pictures and they are suberb so as soon as you know how to work with all this new stuff you will be able to do engine intakes and of course complete aircrafts much better than me.

For instance, let´s take the interior of the engine intake. Before bending and gluing the cilinder you have a rectangle that contains all separate sections printed (laser, not inkjet), sound suppression plates, rivets,...etc. All this is printed in black over the silver stock paper.
    First: Mark all lines with a ruler and and a striker pin (with some inclination when pressing ). Also do the rivets.
    Second: Paint some sections in Humbrol (for instance) alluminium. See the image, the grey sections are painted in alluminium (or also grey). After this, rub it with cotton and you will get it like in the picture.
    Finally: Paint some scratches in humbrol cinc cromate (i dont remember the reference) or other yellowed paint in matt and with a 0,1 or 0,2 black marker pen review all lines and some rivets. Before the ink is dry you have to scrub your finger in some rivets or part of the lines towards the interior. That way, you will get the speed traces effect of the intake. Do not exaggerate it very much, just a little. Finally round the part and glue it as usual.
    Of course you also can choose not to do all this detailing and just bend and glue the part only with the black lines printed and you will have a brand new intake engine of a brand new aircraft just out from the factory.:thumb:
  8. scon10

scon10 Member

Aha, now I understand. Thanks, I'll try this technique on my next models. Maybe I'll even have to think about a laser printer. But only if I can discover a printer shop that can print for me this Pantone silver card sheets, as you previously explained.
    Below is a model of the Tu 114, scanned from the Maly card model, printed on silver card paper bought at the local art supply shop, on which I drew panel lines with a rotring .2 mm and drafters pen. Is this what you mean?
    Unfortunately, on this type of (metalized) silver card paper you cannot print on the silver side with an inktjet printer, so the scanned details from the original model sheets cannot be reproduced on the copy. But apparantly you can with a laser printer.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Attached Files:

9. Jesus

Jesus Member

Yes, that is. If you don´t want to use paint for this matter, there is another tip. Look at the caravelle engine pictute and you will see that one of the above panels (an engine register panel in the real aircraft ) is a little darker than the others. In the real aircraft there is exactly that way (see some picture of a real caravelle 6r). I put a 20 or 30 percent grey in these parts and they look so real when printed over silver paper. See picture of the caravelle parts and see grey part. Another thing is that when you mark the lines in this kind of silver printed paper, the edges bright a lot more and the lines of the panels look real metal. You can use this technique for other details like under wings areas, engine intake panels (instead of paint them)... I will post the pictures later.
  10. Jesus

Jesus Member

Sorry... seems that i can post more pictures. I have deleted some of my attathments but still not possible. The size of the files i try to upload is similar to the other i have already sent so i don´t know what happens.
    Anyway, i think you have understood the procedure and the way i make my models. Thanks a lot for your interest in my models. I appreciate it very much. :wave:
  11. Cybermac

Cybermac Member

Just AMAZING!!!

All of Your models...
    Maybe B-737 some day?

With Big respect

12. Jesus

Jesus Member

Yes, a 200 series. Also planned.

Have fun.

13. sakrison

sakrison Member

Airliners are great but . . .

I would love to see 1/33 scale models of:
    --a Beech King Air, Queen Air, and Beech D18 (Twin Beech),
    --a Cessna Bobcat (think, "Sky King"), 337, and "Tweet (T-37)
    --Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra

All wore military colors at one time or another in the US and elsewhere. So you could produce the kits as warbirds.

And all are significant to the history of US aviation.

Attached Files:

14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Twin Beech, aka the Expeditor, or Exploder in RCAF/RCMP service.

I've hoped for it for a few years now.
  15. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I'm pretty sure that there's a reasonably large scale (could be made bigger) Bobcat already made. Also Barry's Electra could be modified. A Tweet would be nice as well as the Twin Beech.

16. sakrison

sakrison Member

It's the airplane I would buy if I ever won the lottery. Of course, since I never buy lottery tickets....
  17. Man that Beech D-18 looks just like the Lockheed Electra. I really like that plane. The plane Emelia Erhardt flew (crashed). A friend of mine knew her and said she was nuts for ever trying it. She said Emelia had a flare for showing off and wanting attention. My friend is dead now but she flew in the original 99 who ferried aircraft during WWII.

Anyway I digress just reminded me----
  18. sakrison

sakrison Member

Most of the pilots who knew Amelia considered her barely competent as a pilot and most agreed that the ill-fated record attempt was far beyond her skills as a flier and navigator. She and her husband were, however, very successful promoters and publicists.

No worries,
  19. sakrison

sakrison Member

Can you tell us where to find them?
  20. sakrison

sakrison Member

They are similar. The Electra is a larger bird.

Attached Files: