civil aircraft

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Nothing, May 23, 2008.

level of interest for civilian airliners etc.

Poll closed Jun 2, 2008.
  1. huge interest

2. good interest

3. casual interest

4. no interest

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I am most impressed Jesus!:thumb:

(On second thought... I regret my Comet didn't have interiors... Better do it next time...:) )
  2. What is this paper called? I have been searching for a realistic printable silver paper for a long time. But all I have found is what I consider a poor un realisitic silver. This has been a topic for discussion for a long time. Where can we get this????:confused:
  3. scon10

scon10 Member

Tell us all about how you make this fantastic detailing. You said, that you use a special technique, let us know please what technique that is! And how do you paint these paper models in that beautiful, straight and VERY professional way? You MUST elevate us to that higher level of modelling that you have already reached and we are aspiring to.
    Scon 10
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

bare metel foil can be got at most hobby e-stores. heres one that sell gold,copper aluninum and chrome foil.
    Burbank's House of Hobbies: Planes Trains & Cars
  5. Jesus

Jesus Member

Hi Lex, i´m interested in your future Comet. I´d like to do a BEA airtours one in 1/33 scale. Please keep working in this beautiful and classic jetliner and put it on paper (pdf or corel) and i will be doing the complete interior for the plane.
  6. Jesus

Jesus Member

I also have been searching for a realistic paper until i decided to do my own. I went to a print house (offset) and i ordered a lot of a3 sheets printed in "mass" (i mean all the sheet covered with the same colour) with Pantone pure silver ink. The secret for the real bare metal look is to use a very glossy card or adhesive paper when printing. This will give that realistic looking to the parts when printed on it. I decided to do that because i was going to use a lot of this material with my commercial planes. The final look is the same like on Geli models or even better (depending on the glossy of paper as i have just said). You can imagine the face of the man in the printer house when i told him i didn´t want any lettering in the sheets, just one single colour covering all...:confused::confused::confused:
  7. Jesus

Jesus Member

I will try to explain all but you have to be patient, i have been designing and building these kind of planes for many years and there are a lot of tips to tell. Let´s start with the materials. The materials, like the tools are the most important. Regarding your question about painting i will tell you some directions:
    -First, you have to decide if the model will be painted (like the 727 and others) or printed (for instance like the Caravelle), or may be both printed almost all but one special colour painted (because is not available printed or not exactly the same that the reference for the airline or just because is red and will be fading and getting more and more pastel with the sun light)
    -Second, the parts are painted before fixing and building and not after. Logos, lettering and window stripes are cut and fixed (excepting for black or very dark logos that can be printed in the same part as i have done in the transavia caravelle) in the flat parts before bending or glue. I use again a very thin adhesive paper painted with enamels or lackspray in the reference of the colour for the airline livery. Sometimes i have to mix matt and gloss paint to get the exact satin effect that satin card. Satin is the most exact finish to look like the real thing. Too glossy will give the planes a "toy like" appearance. For instance, the blue cheatline in the Condor 727 is a thin adhesive paper painted in satin RAL reference for Lufthansa. Same for the yellow tail, but is painted card instead of adhesive paper.
  8. Jesus,
    I am not sure I understand. When you say you have it printed in one color what do you mean? Also how do you get the injet to adhere? Or is that part of the process? I would like to be able to print these on my inkjet printer.

Thank you for your patience. Your work is remarkable to say the least.
  9. Jesus, your tires look like you turned them on a did you achieve such a realistic look. They look like they came straight from Goodyear.
  10. logicman

logicman Greybeard

(Tim, I understand Jesus as saying that he has colored cardstock bulk printed to his special order by a local printshop.)

Jesus: Saludos! I am very impressed with your work.

I see that you use synthetic enamels - we have the same brand in the UK.

Have you tried spraying paint on cardstock for small quantities? I have used the brand 'Plastikote' on tracing paper for making delicate details. It works fine if you hang it up to dry both sides for at least a day before you put it through the printer.

11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

If that is true then I'll be most looking forward to it!!
  12. Jesus

Jesus Member

Hi, it´s easier that this... They are real rubber tyres from a hobby shop. They are used for RC planes. You only have to look for the appropiate diameter. These are the ONLY part of the aircraft that is not paper or card but i always preffer to put real gears instead of card ones. The final touch is very important, like in plastic modeling i always use an aerograph to add details here and there. This is the final step in my models. The rim of the gear is also card, i only use the rubber part of the gear.
  13. Jesus

Jesus Member

Yes, that´s it. I enclose a picture of the cardstock printed following my order. It cost me less than 80 euros and i´ll have this kind of material for many many years. The man in the local printshop only put a machine to work and only put one can of pantone silver on it. More than 200 70x100 cm sheets were made, then i told him to cut the big sheets in A3 format. They were made in thin adhesive paper and also in 200 kg gloss card. (like the used in Geli models).

Attached Files:

14. Jesus

Jesus Member

A useful tool: The "home made" rivet maker.The wheel of the rivet maker is for 1/33 rivets. You can change the wheel (from an old clock) for other scales. I enclose pictures of the dc-9 stab done with this kind of silver paper, with rivets started and with a thin grey painted adhesive paper for the tipical corrogard anti-corrosion areas in commercial planes. You can see the final real looking with the 3 techniques applyed. (not yet weathered).

Attached Files:

15. scon10

scon10 Member

Well, the initial question of this thread was, how much interest there is for civil aircraft. I think we can safely say, very VERY much!
    I find that hartwarming. Let's keep this interesting subject going.

For one, I am intrigued by printershops, where you can order sheets printed in the same silver as the Geli type card sheets, and then go and print your own design with your own inktjet printer.
    I will start looking for such printer shops right away.
    Any Dutch member aware of such shops in Holland??
    Further, painting thin paper with enamel and then cutting your cheat lines for airline colours is a good idea. It will work for large scale models, where you won't notice the paper thickness. For smaller scale models it might therefore not work. Any experience on that line?
  16. Jesus

Jesus Member

Finally, the painted stripes glued in a dc-9 nose (you can also paint the paper, cut the lines or lettering and glue these to the white part of the plane with normal stick glue, i use Pritt as a brand). Other details have to be made like in plastic modeling (scratches, speed traces coming out from holes and rivets...etc.). See the picture of the MD-80 engine. Red and grey parts of the engine are done with painted card sheets and then cut following the stencils of the model.

Attached Files:

17. Jesus

Jesus Member

Do not try to print the models just like the geli ones, is a lot expensive. They have to do a matrix plate for every colour tha you want to include in the model. I asked about it and that cost thousand euros!! The easyer way is to print the silver sheets and then use them to print the silver parts of the airplane. I use this methode because vintage commercial aircrafts are white, silver, or white and silver with the usual colored stripes that can be printed (in fact, these are always printed but you add the painted adhesive paper just above the printed logo or draw when necesary). Forget about home inkjets for this kind of models. Print in laser professional printers.
  18. redhorse

redhorse Member

Holy Cow! These are incredible, now we just need kits for aircraft like this. There's no way I could do this without a kit!

Oh, and I am quite interested in commercial aircraft of most any type.
  19. Jesus, if I uderstand correctly, you use a laser printer to print your parts? So obviously this adheres to the pantone ink sheets you have had printed.

I am getting the picture. I must admit i am impressed with your ingenuity.

I have a friend who works for a print shop, I will check it out. Maybe we can work something out with my friends here and have a bulk printing done then spread the cost. That way I don't get stuck with more sheets than I could use in a lifetime. this way everyone benefits. Anybody interested? I will check out the cot today.
  20. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Civilian Airliners!!! now thats one of the last frontiers of papermodeling. Jesus, when i saw your planes i thought that you were taking pictures of the real things in hangars! simply amazing work:thumb: i wish there are kits available of planes like yours:mrgreen: