chuffing sound?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

I have a Lionel Hudson with TMCC and RailSounds. When I go slow the chuffing sound is fine but when I speed up the chuffing gets intermitent and kinda skips. Like the engine is going to fast for the chuffing. I did the reprograming both with the engine and on the CAB-1 Still the same. Could the 9 volt batt in the tender cause any problems? I'm not sure if the is one in there. On my k-line Allegheny I don't have one in the tender. Should I?
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm not home this week so I will have to go by memory. I'm pretty sure that the Railsounds battery is only needed so the sound continues after you turn the power to the track off. This gives the locomotive a more true sound as it powers down. However it is not needed to operate the locomotive and the railsounds will still work except when you turn off the power.

I don't think it has an other function and that you can run them without the battery.

I think MTH PS 1 needs a battery and I'm not sure about PS 2.

Now I know my Lionel Mikado sounds pretty good though the railsounds tender I bought for my post war is not as good. It sounds great when it is running fairly fast but not as good at the slower speeds.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I believe you will find that the Lionel cuff sound is controlled by reed switches and magnets in the wheels. See if they might be dirty.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm to lazy to pick my tenders up Spanky but I think your are right.
  5. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

Your right guys. There is a little micro switch that's controled by a cam. It might be faulty on the inside but on the outside it seems to be working alright. Well, it's no biggy. I'm going to install a EOB Board from TA Studios for the cruise control and that has it's own chuffing control. I did one on my K-Line Allegheny and it works great. Thanks for the help.