Chronicles of a Shortline

UP SD40-2

MilesWestern said:
D'oh! that one's still with me too! I wouldn't give that one up! :)
-It also showed me that UP 50 years ago was a pretty good road! :thumb:
...and TODAY, they are just an AWESOME ROAD!:thumb::D . GLAD you still have it Miles:D , there just might be hope for you yet!;) :D sign1 :D -Deano

ratjag

Great guess and sense of humour Russ,:thumb: but WRONG:p ( i'm sure you know really!):D .
Miles is almost there; ---Morris dancing (old english stuff going back 200 years or more--you DO have many Morris 'sides' (teams) in the States. Our UK side is called Rattlejags. Jags is an old name for ploughboys and cattle rib bones can be' rattled' as a musical instrument.:thumb: :thumb:
Miles ,I was going to say they will not all fit on you layout , but your next pic showed the downsized roster!! Good to see you've kept my fav road- the 'Q'. I've too many locos for my new layout so i need to look at other solutions too.:cry:

Deano, As i've said before , I admire your modelling abilities immensly, but.... I changed to US railroads 'cos of the various interesting liveries some roads used on their locos !!!!:p :D :D

Now i'm for it!!

ratjag

Miles.. It was posed with bits of old layout, supposedly going through a shallow cut. The ' bubble wrap' :cry: is fake fur representing prarie grass!!!! ( having never seen it in real life and going buy descriptions of those who have)
Here is the best pic i can do with my camera.:D
Dennis

Attachments

• P1010023.jpg
    P1010023.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 93

ratjag

Deano, :wave: guess what i've just found..atlas sd24(sound), athern sd9, spectrum gp30, all in...............................

announce1 .ARMOUR YELLOW & GREY !!! " D'OH" to quote Miles (and Homer.)wall1 :eek:ops:
Dennis

MilesWestern

Where?

I'm sorry about the bubble wrap :eek:ops: it may look better of you have a picture with higher contrast for your avatar, it shows up better! :) (like mine, black and silver) I would bet it looks great as a larger photograph though! :thumb:

BTW the fake fur looks great, and yes, it does look like prarie grass! :thumb: ;)

I also like your reason to model US prototypes! :thumb:

More pictures to come, I'm off to play RRT2 platinuim! :D

UP SD40-2

ratjag said:
Deano, :wave: guess what i've just found..atlas sd24(sound), athern sd9, spectrum gp30, all in...............................

announce1 .ARMOUR YELLOW & GREY !!! " D'OH" to quote Miles (and Homer.)wall1 :eek:ops:
Dennis
Dennis, AWESOME!!!:thumb: announce1 **HEY Miles, i too, have RRT2 plat, i also have Microsoft's Train Sim. of the 2, i think Train Sim is better, however, i find it a real pain to change things in the game, and put new consists together:( . do you know ANYTHING about TRAINZ? is it ANY easier to make new locations, make consists and such? i heard there is a lot you can D/L for that game, but if its as big a pain to work with as train sim, i wouldn't get it. just curious on your thoughts on this:thumb: . THANKS! :D -Deano

MilesWestern

Trainz

Overview 5 stars!

I think trainz 2006 is THE best simulaotr on the market because....

-Ease of use,there an easy to learn real (prototype specific) cab, there's even a DCC mode! (like a throttle)

The graphics are awesome

YOU can create your own layout by changing the "Scale" from 1:1 to 1:220!

HUGE list to choose from as far a rolling stock is concerned. INSTANT MU

Also create your favortie real routes, or play on the already created ones

just pick up a copy today! I found it at my gaming sotre for 20 bucks.

The only thing I don't like is....

Although they have a plethorea of rolling stock and AMERICAN locomotives...they're almost ALL CANADIAN PAINT JOBS!!! :curse: no espee or UP, or BNSF...there's SF, PENNSY, B&O and a few others, but the other cool thing is they have narrowgauge stuff!!! :thumb:

UP SD40-2

MilesWestern said:
The only thing I don't like is....

Although they have a plethorea of rolling stock and AMERICAN locomotives... :curse: no espee or UP, or BNSF...
THANK YOU Miles, for giving me your review of Trainz:thumb: . i was SOLD on it till i read there is NO UP IN THE GAME!:eek: :curse: . you couldn't GIVE ME the game for FREE, if theres NO UP IN IT!:curse:...but THANKS! again, for the GREAT overview of the game:thumb: . THANKS!:D -Deano

MilesWestern

MY BAD!!! :eek:ops: THERE IS UP IN THE GAME, D'oh!!! I just checked for sure, and there it was!! :rolleyes: I just didn't see it before! :curse:

The bigboy and a DD40AX are in the game, abd prolly an SD40, but not sure, I'll look some more! :D Now go out an buy it! :thumb:

*50 posts and counting! :thumb:

MilesWestern

Ok, so I was looking through "SP's Coast Line" (Signor Press) a couple of months ago and stumbled upon an old photograph of the SP of yore usin old trolley bodies as section gang homes. I had an old IHC birney trolley laying around, so I decided to give it a try! Here's the first photo of what it looked out og the scrap box...

birney1.JPG

I painted it boxcar red, added vents, window glazing and window shades. I even blanked out a window and added a vent fot the stove, it gets chilly sea breezes off the coast in th fall and spring!

birney2.JPG

Then it was planted on the layout...

birney4.JPG

...and now a section gang's family lives comfortably inside! :)

birney3.JPG

MilesWestern

Another engine of near-eternal persuit. My SD7. Actually I wanted an SD9, but what the hey, they're nearly identical anyways...what is the external difference??

Anyway, P2k, $55 at a train show (Cow Palace, San Francisco, 2006) and most importantly, MINE! :D

gusSD9.JPG

Here Bill is out on the front with Gus, at the controls.

Later, we did a night photo session at the depot:

nightime1.JPG

Here's a better one, taken just before departing for the engine shed at Orange.

nightime2.JPG

Next day...

UP SD40-2

Great Job!!

Miles, THANKS!, for letting me know about Trainz!:thumb: looks like I WILL get it!:D WOW!!:eek: , i think YOU did a FANTASTIC job on that trolley "house"!:thumb: :thumb: :D the pics of that SP SD7 look GREAT!!!:thumb: the night shots are a NICE touch too!:thumb: THANKS Miles!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Those were great photos. I for one liked them. That gang house is pretty cool, Nice job on it:thumb: :thumb:

Those night shots are awsome!! I am thinking about adding lights in my buildings too but that is later down the line.

doctorwayne

Nice work, Miles. I especially like that converted trolley. I believe that a couple of farmers in this area used ex-interurban cars as sheds at one time, although all are now long-gone.

Wayne

MilesWestern

Ok, so we're back, I have way too much homework tonight, but I'll make it quick! :p

The Station at Arguello is a favortie location for local railfans to take photographs.
Here, a rare appearance by a Santa Fe unit...the classic F7. Eventhough the MV&P was owned jointly by the SP and ATSF in the beginning, ATSF divested it's shares in the company in 1929, following the crash, and by 1932, SP had as well, it was then a fully independant company which from it's 30+/- year (The MV&P was founded in 1905) relationship with the two railroads, it frequently leases power from it's former parent companies.

warbonnetatstation2.JPG

Here's a closeup of the cars to be found in an parking lot in 1958...note the sharpness of the station in this picture.

warbonnetatstation.JPG

MilesWestern

Here's another shot, as the old 1610 sees it's last days of revenue seervice before it spends the next 45 years in a park, and eventually in a local RR museum. As you can tell, to minimuze the amount of leased engines (and BILL$ paid) The Mission Valley used steam as long as possible, eventually retiring the last steamers offically in 1958-9

260atstation.JPG