Chronicles of a Shortline

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Yup! But first I have to build them! :rolleyes: I purchased 4 CNW 40'ers (first CNW cars! :D ) and one M.P. 40' All front range kits. Anyone have any expirence with those?

Through my "vetran" knoweledge of car kits I managed to put one together already, and am working on a second. They look excellent when finished and roll well, also the lettering is sharp and opaque, which, to me makes an excallent kit and if this isn't a runon sentence I don't know what is! :sign1:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Miles, NOT familiar with that brand:eek:ops: , but SURE CANT WAIT TO SEE THOSE CNW BOXCARS!!!:thumb: :thumb: :D :D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Miles, great work!:thumb:
It's nice to see your layout and get an opportunity to stea.........I mean LEARN from your handiwork!:D
keep posting pics!

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
I've already built one, and I knda botched the bottom of the door :curse: But I figured a way to do release the door from it's evil sprue, and managed to do the other door on the first boxcar, and both doors on the next boxcar scot-free! :)

Meanwhile, I stumbled across a rare trio of SP reefers in the Athearn SE boxes, the guy GAVE 'em to me! bounce7 I just completed the last of three yesterday, and all but the last one is weathered moderately using your method! :thumb:

I still have to post some more pics to post, which I'll be doing tommorow, just to keep you guys in suspense!:rolleyes: :D

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
This is a picture from last year, and my roster HAS DOUBLED!! :thumb:

roster2005.JPG

Most of the crappy LL engines have been scrapped (yes I actually disassemble them for their parts, as opposed to storing some of them for later, good for kitbashing! :thumb: .) Deano will fondly remember the UP GP18 that I scrapped (not in the photo) so yeah! here's my Collection, December 26th 2005.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
If I were to just put out those engines today, this is what's be left.
whatsleft.JPG

Dispositions:

=UP combine (top of first pic): made into UP diner :thumb: Which you may see soon..!
=All cabeese in upper laft corner were put in "storage"
=PA PB set traded for station, and a bunch of cars! :thumb:
=orange/green GP40 stored unservicable
=UP 8-40-C given back to orignal owner for sentimental reasons! :)
=All bachmann F units stored, superceded by atlas FP7's :thumb:
=warbonnet GP50 highhood scrapped to make radiator for doodlebug
=other unit stored
=PC GP40 given as gift
=bachmann orange/green (ex-UP) stored
=weathered n' wrecked RS-2 had trucks removed, now flatcar load!
= all cabooses behind the any of the GP40s stored
That's is, kinda sad, but it was for the better. Modern Roster to come on friday, depending on if my friend can bring his camera by! :thumb:

There ya go! :)

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
D'oh! that one's still with me too! I wouldn't give that one up! :)

It was alot of firsts for me! It was:

-My first athearn!
-The engine that converted my whole fleet to kadees (it had them already, none of my cars did)
-It showed me that switching was a slow procedure
-It showed me that quality was a worthy persuit, because all my other engines were pretty much crap.
-It also showed me that UP 50 years ago was a pretty good road! :thumb: