Chromehound Build

Psyscape

Some time back my son purchased the game Chromehounds. Hunting around on the net he found a variety of wallpapers and things, including three papercraft items from Sega.

Not knowing what to do with those he filed them away on cd and forgot about it.

Some years later I start getting into this papercraft thing, with four of the models I make being from the Frontline game. I confess I was somewhat excited when I noticed links for Chromehounds as well - and you can imagine my disappointment perhaps when all of them lead to a discarded domain and no mechs... Very disappointing indeed, although allowing that they were released several years ago, not really surprising.

Imagine then, my excitement (following a period of juvenile whining) when my son announced "Oh, I've got those somewhere... hang on!"...

Days passed...

And then, hey presto he produces the cd and there, awaiting my eager attention are two of the three mechs. A Morskoj and Tarakia. He didn't much like the Hovercraft one, so didn't bother grabbing that. Shame, but I'll take what I can get.

So... with a few mistakes - some silly, some what I would consider are design faults, I managed to smear together what I still think is a rather cool card toy.

This is the fifth card model I've made, and probably shows as such. I'm still getting my head around scoring, folding and rolling.

Anyway, enough waffle, here's what I did. In retrospect, there are several areas which could have had better attention, and a couple places where I messed up forming the parts as I fixed parts before they should have been. I also ended up having to retrofit extra braces for the main hull to support the upper section.

Psyscape

Completed model.

I had to add extra pieces to the interior of the primary hill to support the upper components which are surprisingly heavy considering it's "just card." I also added a second anti-material rifle to the left side of the model to balance it out. I probably should have added strengtheners running across the model as well, because the weight of the outer pieces tends to put quite a strain on the shafts that support them. Especially allowing that the hexagonal shafts have to be crushed to get them to fit into the right and left units and then expanded in-situ when fitted.

The legs support the model well, and there's no really noticeable sag when the whole model is stood on it's own. All the components are dry fitted so I can add wood support later if necessary. Overall, this was a fun build and took a little over a week with cutting and waiting for the glue to dry before I moved on.

Attachments

• Morskoj_Done01.JPG
    Morskoj_Done01.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Morskoj_Done02.JPG
    Morskoj_Done02.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 34

Psyscape

Thanks, it is a pretty cool mech. Unfortunately the game wasn't that good - aside from being able to custom build mechs to suit missions. The mechs were nice though. It's a shame that they're no longer generally available, and that there weren't more.

No matter, it's not like there's a shortage of this sort of thing around. I suspect there's enough to keep me occupied for a little while.

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
Great work! Nice, clean build. I'm glad you were able to find them; I lost them in a hard drive crash and when I went to look for replacements the website no longer existed and the Wayback Machine was no help.

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
I also have the model but never had the guts to try and build it. You did a fantastic build. It looks awesome.

aleks

Jul 28, 2011
Italy
cool build. I like very much that "real working machine/real tanks" style mechs.
I also have Chromehounds Papermechs waiting to be builded, alongside some Patlabor and Front mission mechs and many other. They look a little inimidating. how much does it take to build this one? What paper weight?

By the way, if Chromehound site was lost, it's legal to share the papercrafts with other zealots?

Psyscape

@Millenniumfalsehood
Thanks. I was quite peeved myself when I followed links to the site only to find it's up for sale and occupied by a place-holder. If it wasn't for my son following in my pack-rat habits I wouldn't have been so fortunate.

@blaar
Cheers, really it looks daunting to start with, as there's a lot of parts, plus you have to print the leg sheets twice to get all four. There are some awkward areas to work on which, having built it now, I can see how I should have done them. However, it's not as difficult as it looks. With a little care and careful attention to the instructions (such as they are) it all slots together rather nicely. You should have a go at it, appearances can be deceptive.

@Aleks
I built the Front Mission mechs first. In order BlizzaiL, Zenith and Numsekar. They're good builds and easy to make although Zenith presented some interesting challenges with the curved shapes. They don't look too bad when done either. I haven't built the Patlabor mech yet though my daughter is nagging for Alphonse. I'm trying to figure out how to add joints to it at the moment. Currently I'm beating myself up over the free Front Mission competition mech, the Zephyr. That one is quite a challenge as the instructions leave a bit to be desired and the parts for each section are scattered over multiple sheets.

Build time for the first three FrontMission was three days each - allowing for drying time on the glue and RL interference. The Morskoj took a week to build, and the Zephyr so far has taken four days and I've only got the head, torso and left arm done.

I've been using A4 card, 160gsm weight - which I think for US readers is in the 60-90lb range. I'm rather limited in choice however, as there are no stores within reach on my rock that stock different card weights. This means I either make do with what I can get, or order stock on the web - with extra added shipping costs. Sometimes it sucks to live on a rock surrounded by fluid.

As for sharing the Chromehound models, that's not possible unfortunately. Sega Japan hold the copyright to those and as far as I know they have not given permission for re-distribution.

Psyscape

Not a chromehound, but I intend building the Tarakia next.

I forgot I'd downloaded this beastie, it's the Front Mission mech "Zephyr" which was a freebie release from Square Enix and is still available for download.

This was more of a challenge than I expected, not just because there are some very interesting shapes to form, but because it's articulated. Head, torso, shoulder, elbow, hand and fingers, hip knee and foot joints. Incredibly, it does actually stand up on it's own without support and behaves moderately well. Posing not so much, there is a need to support the thing in certain positions. Still it was a fun build even if I did make a couple silly mistakes around the chest and shoulder joints.

I have yet to make the weapons for this one - and I forgot build images for this job, but thought I'd share a couple photos before making the weapons and moving on to the Tarakia (which is a chromehound - there, I got back on topic.) :)

Attachments

• Zephyr-1.jpg
    Zephyr-1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Zephyr-2.jpg
    Zephyr-2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Zephyr-3.jpg
    Zephyr-3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 5

Psyscape

Aye, it is a bit of a challenge and not just for new modellers, the instructions aren't precisely clear either, so some of it is rather trial and error to figure out how it should be formed and how it fits together. Mostly logical, but I found for some things I needed more than two hands.

In the end though, it does look rather cool alongside the other FM4 mechs even if it is half again as large.