Chrome

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Bill,
I have tried foiling, and it is a technique that takes a little "getting used to". The foil wrap on a Nestle's crunch bar works well, as it is fairly thin. You need a SHARP #11 blade, and a lot of patience. I have seen the technique used on Santa Fe Fs, and it turned out well.
Pete

Pooh Bah
I've wondered for years if adhesive foil could be used on plastic frogs in switches? Might be a little delicate soldering to it. It started when I saw the copper stuff used for stained glass windows.

F

Fred_M

I once tried the circuit board repair paint on a frog. It comes off very very quickly. FRED

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
I saw a comercial on T.V.

For a new metalic fingernail polish...

I think they said that it contains sterling silver?!?!?!

Said to Ruby that I wanted to get a bottle to try out.

High gloss chrome finish... I'll take a look at the drug-store to see if they have any. Might be worthwhile...

ddavidv

I've used Bare Metal Foil back in my model car building days. It does work pretty well, once you get the hang of it. One sheet goes a loooong way even on 1/24 scale. My only criticism was that the adhesive on the back would dry out over time, though at the rate I used it that was probably a couple years. :rolleyes: It has never parted company with a model after application, however, and has held up perfectly (15+ years). Not sure how it would be applicable to our hobby, but a good product (I believe originally 'invented' for duplicating aluminum airlplane fuselages).

shaygetz

I've seen several articles in MR about this. Those who don't care for the painted on silver of their streamliner passenger cars find this very useful stuff. I've also seen one article in an older MR using plain old tin foil, the advantage being that there is a dull side as well as a high sheen side to simulate the different types of car siding used.

Glen Haasdyk

As a current Model car builder as well as a model railroader I use the bare-metal foil on all of the cars I build. You need a new #11 blade in your hobby knife, a staight edge for cutting the stuff, a batch of q-tips, toothpicks and a pair of tweezers. The Tooth picks and the Q-tips are for burnishing the foil on. The surface that you are applying the foil to must be clean and oil-free. Always cut a slightly larger peice of foil than what you need and burnish it down before timming it to size. Be careful because the foil is extremely thin and tear very easily. Try working on a pracice peice for awhile before starting your good work.
Bare metal foil comes in the following colors: Chrome, Ultra bright chrome, Aluminum, Copper, Gold, and Black Chrome.
Other uses for it include using it as a masking medium for painting. Several people that I have talked to tell me that the chance for 'bleed-under' are very slim.
Hope this helps

billk

Thanks, Glen - I think I noticed something about using it for masking on their web site. BTW, what's black chrome?

Glen Haasdyk

Black chrome is like a glossy black finish, car modelers use it for the black trim on some 'late-model' cars. I've used it for simulating the black trim around windows on cars. I supose you could use it foe MRing for the same purpose, just on a smaller scale.