Christmas tree layout

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
It`s the same old :cry: cry, mate NO ROOM, and as I go all out in the decorations department, for the kids, no time. over 6000 fairy lights, and nets and other things who has time for a tree. :confused: besides thats the bosses department.... have a good one...steve:wave: :wave: :wave:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I'm stunned...nay...awestruck that I appear to be the only one who does it...

Anyway, here it is, about to be installed on the floor. At 44" x 66", that's three separate loops of track, Thomas on the El, my Marklin in the middle and some vintage HO on the outer loop.

Attachments

• christmas2.jpg
    christmas2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 475

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Clark A. said:
PLease notice in my contest pic i do have a train.

That counts...great setup :thumb: I just love the whimsy and relief from rigid scale work that Christmas Gardens give. This time around (my third in 14 years), I was shooting for that Department Store Lionel layout look.

Attachments

• christmas3.jpg
    christmas3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 459
Christmas Train's!

It's that time of year! Here's a picture. It's a Southern N scale locomotive pulling a tender, Holiday boxcar, and Crescent Limited Passenger cars. The tree is 4 foot tall. It even has Hallmark Lionel Series Orniments on it.

The next picture is my G scale Rock Island hopper with Jessica's teddy bear in it. Also there are some candy canes in the hopper!

Andy :wave:

Attachments

• bedroomtree2004.jpg
    bedroomtree2004.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 441
  • RIhopperxmas2004.jpg
    RIhopperxmas2004.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 435

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I don't have a Christmas tree, but I do have a layout--but its setting is high summer! Something to make me feel warmer when it hits 26 degrees at night out here (which may seem plenty warm to a midwesterner, but here in California it seems like the deep freeze!)

Climax1880

Feb 13, 2004
At the edge of the woods
Visit site
We do sometimes run the wife's LGB set under the tree, if we're going to be home for Christmas which we are this year. We bought the LGB for the grandkids to play with. It's tough and they can't hurt it too much. (There's no playing with Grandpa's trains though except under very close supervision). Now, most of them are too big to play with the train stuff and besides, they all go for this very expensive computer stuff.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Climax1880 said:
Now, most of them are too big to play with the train stuff and besides, they all go for this very expensive computer stuff.
Pardon, Have you ever taken an adding machine to your "little" toy train stuff
eek.gif
?

Let's see DCC system $139, two DCC locos $190, 26 pieces of rolling stock $286, 10 turnouts $72, 10 switch machines $80 ... now just keep a adding ... $767 so far and not a bit of wood for a frame or base, no track to connect things with, no soldering equipment, no structures, well you get the picture. I purchased a high powered multiprocessor system in August that was only $1200 ....

Before I even lay my track I'll have purchased 45 2"x4"x8' studs,15 pieces of sheet rock, a drop ceiling, and patched and sealed a concrete floor, after which lighting will have to be installed. Yup these puppies are cheap
wink.gif

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
A couple off replyes here, 1. jetrock, just to make you feel home sick,(for the hot weather) her in sydney, its keeping the mercury hoverring around 38/ 44 deg celcious 98/110 fht, and for mine you can hav it,:cool: :thumb:

2, I wish I could get 10 turnouts(N) for $80, they cost me 25/30 each. not to mention the other gear you mentioned, hey X-mas is coming, I wonder IF santa lives in the usa. and does he read the gauge...:D :D :D ..MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL..... have a good one...steve..:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
Every Christmas eve the kids leave a train set with the milk and cookies for Santa a big plate of cookies. When the kids wake up they find their presents in the middle of the train set which is up and running. I'll post pictures of it Christmas day.

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
We have always had a train and village set up under our tree, I just finished mine for this year built a new table using 2 flush doors, to old to be laying on the floor. Merry Christmas to all on the Gauge.
CSX6638

Attachments

• 04tree5a.jpg
    04tree5a.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 145

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Will_annand said:
I didn't think they had "trees" in Arizona?
You could always decorate a Christmas Cactus.

That's a good idea Will.
Even more plentiful are the tumble weeds. Some of them get pretty big.
Actually we do have trees in Arizona. Here's proof.
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=11446

When we bought this place there were about a dozen small pine trees in the front yard. We were told by our neighbor they would need watered every week. Seeing that we have to haul our water from a well 3 miles away, I told him that those trees were going to die.
I let him dig them up and transplant them in his yard.
My wife mentioned to a co-worker that I missed having a X-mas tree and is going to give us an artificial tree, so it looks like We'll be setting up the trains under a tree this year. :)
I just have to make room for it.

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
It's Godziiiiiillllaa!!

I really wish I could get a train to run under the tree. My little 15 month old princess (A.K.A. Monster) would have a blast putting daddy's $200 train in her mouth then throwing it as hard as she could on the floor to hear how loud she could make it crash! :eek: Anyone out there who has/ have had toddlers around their tree know how to keep the kids from turning the setup into a big Godzilla festival? If you do please let me know because I'm planning on keeping the trains in the train room only for another year or two:(

By the way, all of the pics look great!!! Makes me wish I were back in the states!:wave:

-doc

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Short of methods that involve restraints or barriers nope ...

Some kids wouldn't touch it but others will.

This info is from a someone who had three children, my two girls wouldn't have touched it but the boy would have. Kids are all different you know
cool.gif

I'll see what my grand daughter does next year when she will be 14 months. She can't get into too much trouble this year
biggrin.gif