Christmas trains from China

Dave R.

I'm a bit concerned about getting my Grandson a new train that has been manufacture in China. Considering all the recalls, is anyone looking at possible lead paint on these trains, am I over-reacting?
If it weren't for cheap Chinese produced products, I might not be able to afford this hobby, that's one thing, but poisoning my grandson is another.
Just a thought.
Dave R.

Pooh Bah
Dave: generally, the lead is in red paint as one of the cheap red colourings is lead oxide. If you avoid red colured items you should be all right.
Until they find some other problem.
How old is he? Is he still at the toy-sucking stage, or past it? Or is there someone younger in the family?

CRed

If he's older and you have no younger children that still put everything in their mouth you should be O.K. as mentioned above.As far as trains built in China goes?Some very good brands are now made their,I believe Atlas trains are as are some BLI products.It's up to the company to set the standards on their products and if they're built to those standards it doesn't matter where they are built.

Chris

Russ Bellinis

It doesn't matter so much if they put the toys in their mouths or not. If you handle lead with your bare hands and then put your hands in your mouth or touch your mouth without washing first, you can have problems. Lead in paint may be not a problem if it is well cured unless the person eats the paint chips, but I'm not sure. So far the only problems I've heard of are with cheap toys, not electric trains. You might contact the manufacturers of any trains you might be considering as well as the consumer products safety commision, but if there have been no previous problems reported they will probably insist that their are no problems with their products.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Could something happen? I guess it could but unless the kid is going to eat the trains I would't worry.

If it is an electric train they should be used under adult supervision besides the obvious electric issue there are small parts. These could do more harm when swallowed than lead paint.

If you are thinking about the wooden Thomas the Train the best bet is to buy from a name brand store they are more inclined to have pulled any problem trains.

I would rate the risk as a 1 out of 10 with 10 being very bad. However I would be more concerned about small parts and the age of the child.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
A few weeks ago I read a news article about how Mattel had blown the whole re-call mess waaaaay out of proportion. They had to issue a public apology to China and pretty much admit that there was some concerns over a couple products. However, not the scope for which they had claimed it was.

CTV.ca | Mattel says sorry to China about toy recalls

However, that said.

I ultimately remain suspicious in these circumstances. There is a lot of money to be made by both parties...what's a few designs flaws to come inbetween friends eh?

railohio

Anyone that's old enough to appreciate model trains is probably old enough to not lick it as well. If they are toy trains, then you have a valid concern, but if they are models then are are probably far more dangerous things around.

Pooh Bah
I was in one train shop recently and a grandfather was asking if they had anything not made in China. The store person said that he didn't think so. (I think he forgot the Kadee couplings).