Christmas train set

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Hi All.
I’m looking to buy myself a Christmas train this year. I like the

Bachmann On30 set “Colorado & Southern” item #25002,

but my wife wants something a little more Christmas like, so after searching for Christmas train sets, we decided for this one instead

Bachmann Large Scale “Night before christmas” item #90037

No my question is, does any of you have a Christmas train, and if so, what scale, brand etc. I think that $200 for a Christmas trains set is a bit pricey, by on the other hand, I wouldn’t like to spend $60-$80 on a set that is too toy like.

Here is a link to Bachmann
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/index.html

Thanks
Jesper

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
A train around the Christmas tree was never a family tradition, so I didn't have one, and really haven't felt the need to have one.
On the other hand, there are trains all over the house, all the time.
Pete

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Well, when I was 8 Yrs old (36 Yrs. ago) my Father's X-mas train was an American Flyer A-B-A warbonnet deisel. I still see them at train shows once-in-a-while for around $800.00 US. No, I don't have it anymore.. :(

My current trains are all over my house now, but the train I "take out" for Santa to see is my Pre-war Lionel standard Gauge 10E and 3 cars. I think they are 339, 341 & an Observation car. They are Peacock Green. and I'm trying to restore them... :) :)

~~Mikey

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Baaah Humbug!!! Christmas Train!!!:D :D :D ...Just "cutting up"

Check out some the the buyers clubs like Sam's Club and etc for that Bachman set. They usually have them around Christmas Time for at lot less than $200. :) The train sets for Christmas villages like Dickens Village or Dept. 56 are just junk and not worth you time or money.:eek: :D :D

PS for Pete......No Christmas tree train here either. Santa did bring a wind up trolley one year that ran on a circle of track. The @#$ thing jumped the track...made a circle around the room and collided with my Mother's china Nativity set that was set up under the tree smashing it to smithereens:eek: Don't recall ever seeing that trolley again:confused: :eek: :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
We have been setting up a Bachmann Big Hauler set for about 10 years. We added a second one about 5 years ago and put a LGB on an outdoor oval in our rock garden 3 years ago. The only bad part about it is the setup and takedown. We enjoy the trains and dog has learned to leave them alone. In fact we catch him every once in a while sleeping under the tree inside the inner oval of track- not coming close to the trains.

We got our sets at Costco (Price Club). It was mentioned before that the warehouse stoors usually have them about now for the holidays.

Our married son has put up a Bachmann G-scale passenger set we bought while visiting them in Seattle in 97 and we bought a Bachmann G-scale Circus train for our daughter and her husband 3 years ago. She likes elephants.

Enjoy:) :)

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
My Christmas train isn't physically a Christmas train, it is only mentally a Christmas train. My family puts an ordinary LGB 0-4-0 around the Christmas tree every year, and it is basically only used at that time. So over the years it has just set mentally in as a Christmas train. It is a tradition to buy a new car for every Christmas so it is continually growing, and presents make perfect tunnels. It is also the perfect size for this job. My cat used to ride in the train, it was a hilarious sight, but it is too big to fit in any cars now. But whatever you do, make sure that you find an open car, so you can load it with easily accesible candy.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I used to put up a HO train with Bachman E-Z track around the tree. But, unlike Davids dog, my dog liked to snack on the rolling stock. So now its Xmas Village train. Even the better half enjoys it.......and the grand kids!!!!!...............Love grandpa's Christmas trains.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have a modern toy train that we picked up at Canadian Tyre a few years ago for under Cdn$10 (included a coupon for 4 batteries!) It's Dickensville by Lite Brite (or some such) and the gauge is 1". I found a mate for it last year that was slightly expanded for $12 (US). I wouldn't trust a scale model where the cats and nephews can get at it.
My grandparents had tenants in the 40s and 50s who had a pre-war Lionel under their tree each year. When I got my first electric set, it was set up under my grandparents' tree.
It's not really Christmas unless there's a train under the tree.

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
got me a new brite set thats a toy but its antimated and got more lites then my tree plus sound the kids get a big kick out of it and going to get the extra cars for it this year :D :D :D ho ho ho rich

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
A couple of years ago we baught a Christmas train at Wal Mart. It runs on snap plastic rails, battery operated. The switch on it has, left play christmas carols, center off, right choo choo ding ding as it circles around the tree. We paid about $45.00 for it so it is a toy but all visitors coment on it.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
I have never had a Xmas without a train under the tree, just isn't Xmas without one. We always had O or G gauge running with presents in the gondolas. Now that I'm married we sort of have our own tradition. The living room is all decorated in eskimos, pengiuns, etc. so the train is Lionel Alaska railroad equipment. The bedroom is vintage Xmas (1940's era) so prewar Lionel O gauge and Marx runs under that tree. The train room gets a 4' alpine tree on top of the layout. Whatever set you buy make sure it is something you will enjoy for years to come. Even with three layouts I still love to set up a circle on the floor and play trains in the middle of the year. OOOOhhhhh, I don't wanta grow up........

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I appreciate all your comments.
I have decided for the LGB set, and think I will go and by it this weekend.
Now I almost can't wait until December 1st. But I have told my wife no Christmas decorations can be put up until December 1st, so I guess it applies to me also.

Jesper

For the first time, there is going to be a train running under the tree. This year my partner, bless her soul, purchased the Thomas Kinkade Christmas Express, from the Bradford Exchange. Its an On3 2-6-0 with tender and 2 coaches. We have received the engine,tender,one coach and the track (snap track). It looks great and we are both happy with it. Cost, i don't want to say. Mega dollars thou. But i cannot place a dollar value on someting we like. The train is made by Bachmann. So one could probably check them out for a regular On3 set.:D

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I have an LGB Christmas set for under my tree this year whereas over the past 4 years it was a small N Scale layout 24" x 21" done up in a winter scene.
I have most of the Microtrains Christmas releases (missing 2) and now, it looks like I will start getting the LGB ones as well.

Terry