Christmas set ideas

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jvalvano, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Jvalvano

Jvalvano New Member

I am brand spanking new to this. I have 2 girls 2&4, my wife and I are looking for a nice Christmas track set for under the tree. My wife is partial to the G scale because she likes the size and she thinks it is more versatile in that we could use it outside with the kids. I think that the O scale is more for the money and the fact that it's not made for outdoors I don't think is a big deal since I don't really think the kids will be interested in doing trains outside. There's too much other stuff to do outside. It also looks like there are more options for adding things at the O scale. We have looked at Lionel and LGB. What other Xmas sets are recommended? From reading the forum it looks like G or O scale comes down to a personal choice. Any help or ideas is welcome and appreciated. Thanks
  2. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Well, like many of us here, I got my start in railroading way back in the dark ages with Lionel O. I don't think G even existed then. However, times change, and if you really want the girls to get interested, I suspect either would work. I think I might lean slightly toward G, however, just because it's that much larger and, being built for outdoor use (at least some of it), could be a bit more rugged for little hands to play with. Just my opinion, and I haven't had my Lionel layout for years, and my total experience with G is an LGB set with a few pieces of track. I'm sure that folks more knowledgeable than I will step in here.
  3. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi: Jvalve:

I'd go with the O gauge. There's a huge range of equipment available from "old timie" Americans with balloon stacks to the Acela. Also, there is a HUGE range of operating accessories available. Not only from Lionel, K-Line and MTH, but you can also use the Department 56, Lemax and other similar "Holiday" houses, crossbucks, street lights, people etc. These latter items go on sale BIG TIME towards the end of the holidays. Much easier to put together your "Christmas Village". The kids love action accessories. Log loaders, coal dump cars, flashing lights, all that stuff helps get them into a railroad and helps them understand that a railroad has a purpose.

Then, of course, there is that time in life wher they discover "boys" and YOU get to play with the trains!

Have Fun,
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Or you may get to play with a SHOTGUN!

Seriously, there may be more play value with O tinplate because of the animation available in accessories.
  5. glenn railey

glenn railey Member

I wuld go with O guage. I have had O guage underneath the tree for 6 years and the grandkids just go nuts with it. They girls are 2 and 4 and are completely facinated by the trains. I would look at the TMH Christmas sets. They come with EZ track, which is quick and easy to set up and extremely versitle. There is a ton of animated rolling stock and accessories that is avialable for the O guage sets. TMH sets are great quality and are easy to use. TMH has proto2 sound and that adds a lot of realism and keeps the kids glued to the trains.

Check them out at your local train store or visit them online. You'll be glad you did at Christmas time.