Christmas gifts from my Pop!

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by TrainNut, Dec 29, 2006.

1. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

My father has recently taken up blacksmithing and wanted to give me something of his efforts rail related. In the first shot, you can see that he forged a knife out of a chunk of steel. Any guesses on what the piece of steel was before it became a knife? The answer is right before your eyes!
    The second is an ice pick. He also made the handle from a chunk of firewood laying around down in the woodyard.
  2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

WOW! he should sell those! He'd make some big buck$!! :thumb: those are awesome!
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

A very thoughtful gift indeed. And yes, it's not difficult to see what they're made from which makes them all the more precious.:thumb:
  4. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Extra cool to see the combination of both of your interests in the gifts.
  5. zedob

zedob Member

Wow, smithing in Pheonix! Brutal!

Nice work. i'm impressed with the knife. Excellent job for a beginner.
  6. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

WOW! jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

Yes, I see what he made them out of! I won't ruin the surprise for others but very appropriate! Your Pop did a great job! I am amazed! :cool:
  7. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That's really good!
  8. Illus

Illus Member

That knife is sweet! The hammer is a good idea too!
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Not hard though... I hear you just leave stuff sitting around in a sunny spot. It's ready to work in 30 minutes or so... ;) :D sign1

Great stuff. I agree that there might be a (niche) market for this equipment

10. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

Those look like anti-rivet counter tools in my opinion sign1 Neat stuff :thumb: