Christmas 2007

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

announce1 LIONEL Christmas Celebration 2007!!!!!!

Hogwarts Express - I want it and for $299 I will get it!

Polar Express G-gauge - Very interesting and powered with a 9.6 volt rechargable battery. The disappearing hobo looks way to cool. At $129 this will be my first G scale.

I think Lionel now gets it!!!! Only if they can get things out on time with enough to go around.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Jerry Calabrese knows marketing, and that was why Lionel brought him in. They needed someone who could leverage the name recognition and find some promising licensees they could tie in, since it's not 1947 anymore when trains literally sold themselves.

Anticipating the demand is the tough and scary part. But they at least have an idea based on the last couple of Christmas seasons now, and the demand for trains the last two years has been stronger than I ever remember it being.

I like that they're powering the Polar Express in G with a battery. I wish they'd try that in O also because it would take a lot of the expense and complexity out of it. Three words: No more wires. The $129 cost for a bigger train speaks volumes. They could sell an O gauge Polar Express with battery power for less than that (maybe at the magical $99 price point), or for the same price and include an extra car or something. And I think a battery powered Hogwarts Express priced at $99 or $149 would be a huge seller.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I expect the true price for the HE to be $200 and the PE to be around the $100 mark. My dealer has a heart and discounts Lionel products to a better price range. That might be why his stock is never full. :)
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Got a link to that G gauge Polar Express?
    I can't find it on Lionel's site.
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) Well it is still Lionel, their new catalog is out but their web site has not been updated. :)
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Well, perfection is a slow goal to obtain, I guess.