Chris's Sci-Fi Models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cdwheatley, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Hello. I've been a member of this forum for some time but have never posted before, usually doing so on the Fiddlers Green one instead. I've been building card models for almost a year now, almost exclusively aircraft. However, I've recently built a couple of sci-fi ones and thought I'd post a few photos of them here.

First off was a Star Wars TIE Fighter:-

Then, also from Star Wars, was the Millennium Falcon:-

I'm currently close to finishing a model of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A from Star Trek. All of these models were downloaded from here and, with the slight exception of the Enterprise which isn't quite up to the standard of the other two models, are really well designed and fit together beautifully.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nice work! I tried the Falcon a couple times and failed miserably :)
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Very nice builds, but special kudos on the photography. I am a geek about that.
  4. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Nice work. I have built these as well. They look great in my office at work.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

lol... how can anyone make the Falcon look worse that it already is?
  6. loenf

loenf Member

Good work! Very clean build :thumb:! Keep it up, i want to see more.

Regards Loenf
  7. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Thanks for the kind words guys :). Loenf, I will post pictures of the Enterprise asap, at the moment I'm just building the display stand for it.

I'm already starting to consider what I'm going to build next, and I think I'd like it to be another Star Trek vessel (probably Federation). Can anyone suggest any suitable models that are both reasonably straightforward to assemble and that also fit together really well?! Thanks!
  8. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Lando on "She's the fastest hunk 'a' junk in the galaxy!" Lando off.

Love your work, Chris. Welcome to the forum.
  9. jagolden

jagolden Guest

The shuttle pods here look especially nice:

Also nice Trek and others here. Grissom is tricky but anice model:
  10. Janx

Janx Member

Excellent and clean builds, I also have tried the falcon afew times, each one when crashing into the bin....
  11. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Thanks for those links jagolden, although I had visited those sites before. Yes you're right, the USS Grissom does indeed appear quite tricky to build. It does look a fine model when finished though, although the design doesn't really 'float my boat'. The USS Stargazer from the same site looks interesting though, although a little angular - not that that's necessarily a bad thing! It looks fairly easy to put together too. I must admit I find the Nova class of starship very appealing, although I've only been able to find two examples so far, both of the USS Rhode Island. I also like the look of the Sovereign class ships too (most famously the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E). Can anyone recommend a particularly fine model of that?!

My model of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A is finished now, and I expect to be posting pictures of it tomorrow - so watch this space!
  12. cmags

cmags Guest

Zousho's Enterprise-E is probably the best available version. Might be the only one. It's certainly not an easy build, but when done right, it comes out great.

It also looks like he's re-designing it to be larger and easier to build. We'll have to keep an eye on it.
  13. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

14. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Greetings CD Wheatley. I checked your builds on the other sites and I must say, that they are exceptionally well done. May I assume that you are a female according to your Avatar. You have a great advantage over many of us guys when it comes to small parts, "small fingers". My Daughters attempted to imitate my skills with little success but this genre is usually not attractive to girls. If I were you Dad I would say "WHOA THAT IS GREAT" Welcome to the forum and to other curious modelers, Check her other builds.

With that said, will you do a build thread anytime in the future. I would love to see how you put those saucer parts together so precise, as well as the engine pylons. Fantastic...........

Strength and Honor
  15. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

Unless diminutive Australian pop goddess Kylie Minogue has time for papercraft amongst all her other endeavors, my guess is that your assumption might be a little unfounded Silveroxide!

Lovely builds there cdwheatley, very nice work on the ent-A's saucer especially - the joins between the sections are very clean! What weight paper are you using in that case? I found cardstock didn't give me a great result with the way those joins are designed, due to the thickness.
  16. davitch

davitch Member

That Enterprise is awesome! How did you cut your circles so precise?
  17. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

18. cmags

cmags Guest

Very clean build on the 1701-A. :thumb: I'm curious how you attached the warp pylons. I see that you removed the tabs off the bottom of the pylons. My nacelles sag a bit even with the tabs holding them on. I did use heavier card than it looks like you used (mine is 110lb stock), so that might make the difference. Any tips you have will be useful as I plan to rebuild this model at 1:1700 soon (already resized and printed). Though I'm sure the smaller size will help with the strength-to-weight ratio.
  19. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Thank you very much silveroxide for the favourable comments regarding my previous models (I presume you mean the ones which I've posted pictures of at the Fiddlers Green forum?), I really appreciate them :). Your assumption that I am female, however, as think-floyd suggested, is indeed false. My avatar, as correctly identified also by think-floyd, is of the small but perfectly formed miss Minogue, who, it has to be said, I have a bit of a thing for ;-). I have been a fan for many years, and was lucky enough to see her in concert at the O2 Arena in London twice last summer.

I will certainly try to do a build thread sometime.

Thank you also think-floyd. I just used regular 160 gsm white card for the whole model, and have done for all of my models to date. I would say that the secret of my success with regards to tricky areas such as the saucer section and others is just very careful scoring and folding of the tabs, aided by precise application of the odd drop or two of superglue!

Thanks davitch. I just used a sharp pair of scissors, that's all.

You're right cmags, I did remove the tabs from the warp nacelle pylons - both top and bottom. I just couldn't get them to join to the secondary hull satisfactorily at the bottom, and I thought they looked plain wrong at the top where they connect to the nacelles themselves. What I did is use a length of 1/16 inch balsa wood sandwiched between the two halves of the pylons, longer than the pylons themselves, which then allowed me to locate them into small holes cut in the secondary hull (and also the warp nacelles). They were fixed in place by the careful application of a little liquid superglue which I allowed to run along the length of the join. I hope that helps.
  20. THE DC

THE DC Member

And as for the suggestions....

If you haven't seen these yet, Ninjatoes has an excellent Defiant and the shuttle:

Note that the Defiant has two versions; his original well designed hull with hand drawn graphics, but as well an excellent re-draw which looks beyond.

Its a Federation, as you indicated interested in, but a rather unusual one as well [for many design and back story reasons].

Maybe you can resolve the size/scale issue in your reconstruction, Hmmmmmmm? [The Holy Grail of DS9 factoids!].

Speaking of Holy Grail:

The DC