Choosing And Naming Industries.(Advanced)

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by brakie, Nov 21, 2006.

1. abutt

abutt Member

Check the old mastters for inspiration. "Frank Ellison on Model Railroads", published by Fawcett shows the creativity of the older generation. And, of course, John Allen. Several industries on my railroad pay homage to Ellison and Allen with names from their wonderful railroads.
  2. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Vandalay Industries

Manufacturer of latex.

3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Another cool site for ghost signs is this one:

Along the lines of the sort of names Brakie mentioned, like Great Lakes Steel, North American Knitting, for those modelling transition era or earlier in Canada a very common beginning was Dominion. ie Dominion Elevator, Dominion Wire & Cable, etc. Well-chosen names can really help set the era. And don't forget some of those short forms for given names from the olden days: Chas. for Charles, Thos. for Thomas, Geo. for George, Wm. for William, etc. Now you can put them together, Chas. Irving & Sons, Geo. E. Brown, Wm. Sutter Coy Ltd (Coy is a very old short form for company).

4. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

What does Vandalay mean? I've seen this "inside joke" on numerous layouts...what's the deal?
  5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

It's from a Seinfield episode. Funny stuff.
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Miles -

It's an old TV show from the days before flat panels, HDTV or even much of the Internet (certainly YouTube) ;) :D

Gary - Not to make you feel too old, but Seinfeld's original pilot aired the year Miles was born...! hamr

Wait... now I feel old... :rolleyes:

7. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

sign1 Come on guys! I wasn't born with a silver mouse in my hand like those crazy young whipper-snappers that were born AFTER 1997! :p I played OUTSIDE, I got together with the neighborhood kids and went on little adventures, I played in the dirt and mud, and didn't get hurt. I think I honestly was the LAST generation to expirence this, without the OPTION to play on the computer. Maybe I'm just an iconclast, playing with non-computer generated toys most of the time...hmm.

Anyways, I'm more of a Cheers/Fraiser kind of guy! ;)
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Ahhh, but even we old geezers had the option of playing computer games... Haven't you heard of Pong, Atari, or ColecoVision...?! ;) :D

Never mind that the average musical greeting card has more computing power than those systems - they were fun! :D That, and the old 8-tracks... :rolleyes: