Chinese CZ-2F

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by BARX2, Jul 3, 2007.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Finally finished this model. It's a monster! I had a very hard time getting the tubes for the core rolled properly because I used some cheesy card stock :p so I rolled them around an Estes body tube. Thanks to David Hanners for that tip. And tip of the hat to Tim Hinds for tips on rolling body tubes. :thumb:

See more and larger pictures here: jepolch - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Great Work!

I think it is a very good build. Thank You for the share of Your work.

3. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Excellent build! I have a question. I used to do Estes stuff as a kid, and my son wants to fly rockets. I thought about getting into th Estes game again for him, But I love scale and am bored with a lot of what they sell. So, to that end, I love the scale stuff in the cardmodel catalogs as well as this one that you show, which leads me in a long way to my question: can these fly using Estes rocket motors etc? Do they have the strength to support the pressures and all? Are they built for static display or are they designed with nose cones and wadding spaces and motor tubes etc? I couldn't think of anything more fun than to not only build these beauties, but to actually see them fly and return safe!
  4. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Yet another person to add to my "i hate you because you build such awesome models" list :D

That is just so darn beautiful, BarX2. Mine would be so full of creases and nasties. What stock did you use, 110lb?
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Well, yes, card models can fly - but not this one. It depends on how they're constructed. I guess most of the real space card models are built for display only. However, Eric Truax has some beautiful flying scale card models for download here: Eric's Model Index Page I plan to build them to fly and display.

Another great source of flying paper models is Wayne Hill's Ultimate Paper Rocket Blog. I've flown rockets with Wayne and he knows his stuff about home-made paper rockets: Ultimate Paper Rocket Guide « Rocketry Blog
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks. That's the beauty of creative photography - you don't show the blemishes. :mrgreen: It's 65 pound card stock but not the Waussau I normally use.
  7. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Wassau...that name keeps coming up but I haven't been able to find it here in Canuckistan. Any Canadian here who've been able to find it? If so, where?

8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I can only find Wassau Bright White card stock at Office Max.

I just uploaded the large pictures again. The first time I uploaded them they were reduced in size. This time they are the real biggies. :) I also uploaded a picture of the Shenzhou space craft which was launched by the Chang Zheng CZ-2F.
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

10. George B

George B Senior Member

Great links....thanks!!!:thumb:
  11. DrBill

DrBill Member

Wausau Bright White card stock (65 lb) is available at Staples, as well. Not all stores have it, and it's occasionally out of stock, but you should be able to find it at