Chicago & Northwestern Crandall cab E-9

Jorge

Mar 3, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello.

Guys I want to pull my grain trains and my local freights with this KEWL looking puppy! How would you gentlemen go about building one in HO scale? Would you start with an A unit then modify the nose or start with the B unit and make a whole new cab from scratch?:D

Have fun
Jorge

Attachments

• tr_cnw502.jpg
    tr_cnw502.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 200

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Jorge it looks like maybe a SD-50 cab or there abouts, somebody here will probably tell you exactly what it is or you can match it up by looking at pics in a walthers catalog if need be. I would by a Atlas E8 or 9 A unit, then order the SD cab "only. Atlas does sell every replacement part on a individual basis and the cab only would probably be less than $5 saving you some money.

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
CNW acquired some old UP E8 B units and built the cab by cutting away part of the top and end. There was an article in Trains magazine, IIRC in the early 1970's about them. They were used in the CNW commuter service. The cars they pulled were the double deck gallery cars. So for your model, if you have a B unit, I'd start there. Otherwise, an old AHM E8A would be a good starting point. It might be prudent to repower it though, since AHM had poor running locomotives.

Greg Elems

Jorge

Mar 3, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello guys thanks for the advice and yes Greg, I was planning to use an AHM E unit as a starting point. Lets see what other people think.

Jorge

C

Catt

I would use a LifeLike E unit if I were doing one. I would also use the 3 window (windsheild) cab for the ATLAS SOO SD60M for the cab and modify that unit.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Jorge,
The cab would be most closely represented by the FP45 cab, except the FP45 has an angled roof. You'd have to remove the roof and replace it with a round roof.
Remote possibility that Cannon might have a Crandall cab kit.
Pete

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
How about starting with an E-8 or 9 "A" unit and get an Athearn fp45 or f45 shell to use for the cab, then graft the cab under the stock "E" unit roof, and use filler to blend in the number boards?

C

Catt

The F/FP45 windsheild is a two piece unit andit has a slope to it.you need a 3 piece windsheild.In my origonal posting to this thread I was thinking N scale.

If memory serves me right Detail Associates does the Canadian safety cab in HO.This is a flat panel kit that would give you a fairly correct nose and 3 piece winsheild with a seperate roof that you would not need to use.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
After seeing this thread, I e-mailed my cousin who is a master modeler and C&NW fan. Much of his answer I believe has been covered, but here it is:

>From January through May 1973 CNW converted 11 ex-Union Pacific E9B's to
"Crandall Cab" units at Oelwein shops for Chicago suburban service. The
program included the installation of auxiliary engines for head-end power in
the former steam generator compartment at he rear of the unit. (the exhaust
pipe and muffler are visible in the illustration) The "Crandall Cab" is
named for its designer, CNW Assistant Superintendent of Motive Power
M.H.Crandall, who died of a heart attack while trying to restart a suburban
locomotive during a blizzard in Jan. 1979. Locomotive #502 was name in his
honor.

He could start with an A unit, or a B unit, add a GP7 or GP9 cab roof, the
nose would have to be made out of sheet styrene. He would need to get more
of a profile shot to see how the new cab is tied in to the long hood.

I can check around to see if I can find a profile pictures if he is
interested.

Al

I would love to see a picture when you get it finished! Al has written several articles related to C&NW. About a year ago he covered a modification of a diesel to carry more fuel (MR) and his C&NW layout was featured in RMC.