Check this out, new On30 loco

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Greg Elems, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

We have a choice, not just Bachmann.

Check the new product announcement, On30 D&RGW C-16.

If it runs as good as their HO, then it should be a winner.

Greg Elems
  2. Catt

Catt Guest

Nice little unit and the price isn't "THAT" bad either.
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

All things considered, I agree. One of those to pull freight would be just the ticket. That would leave my 2-6-0 for passenger duties.

Greg Elems
  4. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

That should be a very impressive loco.

Can't wait for a road test in one of the magazines.
  5. Catt

Catt Guest

Model Railroader will test the 0n2 1/2 version. :D :D :D
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Catt, if Model Railroader tests the On2 1/2 version, can we assume that the On30 version will have the same qualities.:D :D :D

Greg Elems
  7. Catt

Catt Guest

Greg,we will have to wait till the other mags test the 0n30 version for comparison purposes.:D :D :D
  8. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

Are you trying to make me won't work...been there done that.

On30 means O narrow gauge 30"

On2-1/2 means O narrow gauge two and one half feet; which is also 30"

Am I missing something here?

Dan......Confused in Florida
  9. Catt

Catt Guest

Dan, Model Railroader keeps on insisting on calling 0n30 by it's old designation of 0n 2 1/2.Everybody else including all manufacturers of this scale use 0n30 to identify it.:D :D
  10. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

A little humor at MR's expence maybe! :D :D :D

Greg Elems
  11. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

Thanks had me going there.
  12. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

And for another thing...

There's going to be a Bachmann outside frame Consolidation!!

It's time for everyone that is currently doing HO56 1/2 to switch to On30!
  13. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

Don't leave us hanging....when will the Bachmann 2-8-0 be showing up in my neighborhood?

There is something about a Consolidation that just looks right!
  14. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

If I'm not mistaken (Gee, like that ever happens...:D ), this fall, Bachmann is releasing their On30 Climax, based, of course, on the running gear from the wildly popular Shay. This little one ought to sell a bucketload, if they're as nice as those little Shays. Bachmann also has a side-rod critter coming out soon as well.

The outside frame 2-8-0 has been one of the most popular requests, and from what I've heard, and will look fairly similar to the G scale one that was released a short while ago. I believe that the prototype for this locomotive is a real 30 inch gauge unit. (Mexican??) This is apparently scheduled for release in 2004.

Then, of course, we have the planned release of Broadway Limited's C-16 2-8-0, complete with sound,etc. Lots of excitement about that one. Can anyone say, "Bumblebee"??

And, to top it all off, there is a rumoured K-27 outside frame 2-8-0 from Prescision Scale. I am unsure if this is really in the works, or if they're throwing out an idea to test the response.

Once again, not too sure, but the Bachmann OF 2-8-0 is apparently a smaller loco, and will negotiate 18 inch curves, whereas the K-27 would be a fair bit larger, and I have no idea if it would work on 18 inch curves.

All in all, it's going to be a great couple of years for On30. Man...I wish I had LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of money! :D :D
  15. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

16. Catt

Catt Guest

There is a write-up in the October,03 Model Railroader in new products announcing Broadway-Limited's new 0n2 1/2 (see I told ya Greg :D ) narrow gauge locomotive.
  17. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Yeah Catt, you were right about MR. I will have to read it. And for those of you who are interested... here's a GREAT picture of the upcoming C-16 in the Bumblebee colors.

May have to change my mind about getting one of them. Sure is tempting.

18. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Just saw photos of a prototype 30" gauge outside frame Garrat,
    2-6-2+2-6-2. Now there's a kitbash candidate if I ever saw one!
  19. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Here's one!

Attached Files:

20. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

That is just too cool. It looks like it's running through Eucalyptus trees. Thanks for sharing that gem.