check out layout pics!!

deablo

Jun 6, 2002
USA
davetrains.20m.com
please tell me what I need to do on my layout, except the green junk, no scenery, no plaster,no elevation. I will be doing that soon but what else do I need. I will have an engine terminal where the rev. loop pic is. critisize all you wand I need help.
www.davetrains.20m.com

Dave

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Dave you have a nice space to work in, I wish I had that much room for my n-scale layout. Your problem with the cars falling over I think is due to way to small a radius. In HO 18" would limit cars to no more the about 50 scale ft. (about 8" not counting couplers) to have good operation. But with 4 ft. of width you should be able to open it up to about 22" maybe although that's cutting it close. I would suggest posting your track plan in the track planning forum here so people more familar than I with HO can help you with it. Good luck!:)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Dave!
I'm with Tyson...I wish I had a room that nice for a model RR!
This is just my personal opinion, & reflects my favorite style of operation...if I was modeling in HO, & had space along a 16' wall, then I would have one dandy little switching layout. That way, I could avoid reverse loops, could keep the curves broad enough to handle any size equipment, & have more usable space for yard trackage, & scenery.
But that's just me.
If you prefer to keep the loops at the ends, then Tyson's right, you might get away with 22" curves, but this will bring the trains precariously close to the edge of the layout...I think 20" is more realistic. (are you using flextrack, or sectional?)
I have a simple rule of thumb that I follow when it comes to curves...
In HO scale, if the curves are under 24", then the only thing that's going to look, & operate well on them are 4-axle diesels (you could also include small steam locos), & 40'-50' rolling stock.
The bottom line is, though, for you to get it so that it works for you, & you enjoy yourself!
Good luck...keep us posted on your progress!

deablo

Jun 6, 2002
USA
davetrains.20m.com
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
Dave you have a nice space to work in, I wish I had that much room for my n-scale layout. Your problem with the cars falling over I think is due to way to small a radius. In HO 18" would limit cars to no more the about 50 scale ft. (about 8" not counting couplers) to have good operation. But with 4 ft. of width you should be able to open it up to about 22" maybe although that's cutting it close. I would suggest posting your track plan in the track planning forum here so people more familar than I with HO can help you with it. Good luck!:)

Well I should take off that quote because I tweeked the track work and now I almost never get De-rails.

Dave