cheap vehicles

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ronin_wolf, Dec 4, 2006.

1. ronin_wolf

ronin_wolf New Member

Hey fellas:

While I was at Wal-Mart this afternoon, I noticed some HO and 1:72 scale automobiles for fairly cheap (about 7 bones for a 5 pack of purported 1:87 scale and about 2 bucks for a 1:72). They ranged from classics to modern sports cars. Figure a few quick dabs of detailing paint, maybe a wash and drybrush, and they'd be a good cheap addition.

2. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I saw those too, I picked up the 5 pack of classic 1:87 and a Cobra as a single car!

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

Yup, I've pretty much picked my share of Wal-Mart 1:87, one can only have so many cherry red Cobras before the plausibility meter starts red lining.:thumb:
  4. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

:curse: :mad:

When are they going to start making this stuff for N scale?
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

I'm modeling 1880 so they don't really work for me. I did pick up a five pack just to get the Lamborgini. The rest go to a buddy. I've been looking for an HO scale Delorean to hide in a mine. I figure if I paint it silver and add a flux capacitor, nobody will know the difference if all they see is a lttle bit of th eback end in a mine tunnel.
  6. ronin_wolf

ronin_wolf New Member

heh heh...that would be a riot, Doc. One of my buddies at work has a Johnny Lightnin Back to the Future die cast gift set in his cube. I can't recall what [approx] scale...

And thanks for the welcome, Shay. Glad to be here.

I used to model HO when I was a kid. Now that I'm older, I want to get back into the hobby, but I'm short on space, so I'm thinkin' N. Yeah, 2-8-2, I know exactly how you feel.

And no, I don't think you can ever have enough Shelbys, in scale or RL.

7. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

If you're talking about the Malibu 1:87 scale vehicles, I picked up a bunch of those from the local Wal-Mart here in Leesville over a year ago. They were available in single packs then. I see that they are available in 5 packs now, but I don't see any that I don't already have, with the exception of some 70's model vans, of which I picked up 3, a 74 Ford and 2 75 Dodges.
  8. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

They still do not have them in my neck of the woods. :cry:
  9. toolman

toolman Member

Cheap cars for scenery

I also have been to wal-mart and bought those 1/87 scale cars, wish there were more varity.
    I have also been to walgreen's and bought vehicles, trucks, construction equipment, they are alittle bit larger than the 1/87, trucks and contruction equipment are bigger.
    The price is cheap, they sell for about $1.00, or 2 for a dollar.
    Next spring I am going to go to yard sales and look for matchbox or hot wheels mainly construction equipment.
  10. Relic

Relic Member

yeah jasbourre that HO wallymart stuff doesn't seem to make it north of the border.
  11. Collyn

Collyn Member

They used to have some very good very cheap die cast n scale but I have not seen them in a while. They are racing champs. Full interior everything. Sorry the picture is so bad

Attached Files:

12. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Tool man, Wal Mart is also selling 1:87 scale construction equipment, dozer, loader, scraper, grader, articulating sprayer....ect all under the Cat brand name....under $4 a pop.

13. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Those are actually from Norscott. Not as detailed as thier "top of the line" collectibles you see at the LHS.....But the price is right for loading up a bunch of flatcars.