Cheap Lawn-Like Grass

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by mancourt, Oct 30, 2006.

1. mancourt

mancourt New Member

Guys, is there anyway to make cheap believable grass, maybe from flour or kitty litter? Maybe someone could point me to a tutorial?

Thank you!!!
  2. mancourt

mancourt New Member

Oh also, I do not have access to a hobby store =( I wish I did... I'm in Japan, so no shipping from the US.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

What scale? Ho scale would be slightly larger than 1/8 inch to the foot. That means a typical lawn cut to say 2 inches high grass would be 1/6th of 1/8 inch. A layer of green felt would probably work. We may not think that felt looks like grass, but almost anything that we think would look like a lawn in ho would be out of scale on the tall side.
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Dyed sawdust was the standard before ground foam. Can you get your hands on any of that...?

Welcome to The Gauge!

5. Relic

Relic Member

I grind up foam rubber from an old car seat in a yard sale blender then dump it in a ice cream container{2 ltr}with some thinned green paint. Using different foam gives different results 'cause it grinds up easier/finer
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

There is a trick I used, to determine "level of detail". For grass; determine the size of the lawn, say the lot is 90' wide; cut a cardboard frame, a scale 90', and then holding it at arms length look at a lawn 90' wide, so that it is all in the frame; What detail you see, is what you are trying to reproduce in scale. After that it's a matter of finding the material that looks most like that lawn.
    A well kept lawn will look fairly smooth, you won't see individual blades, but you will see that they are there. There is some flocked paper that could be used, or possibly some fabric. I know nothing of Japan, but I would have to assume that there are craft stores, or sources of craft materials that you could investigate.