cheap easy weathering!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by chipmonk, May 16, 2004.

1. chipmonk

chipmonk Member

hey guys, this tread turned out better then i thought, lots of ideas flying around keep it up!

Shaygetz, did you thin the paint before using it on that hopper, those streeks look great!

Fred, for 2 bucks that car makes a great addition any roster, nice job on the weathering too!

As for sealers ive used dullcoat for a while and am pleased with the results, i usually seal the car as soon as i get it weather it and seal it agian.

since i work at a hardware store i noticed a 3 dollar 16 ounce can of matte finish (4 times as much for the same price as dullcoat) i had to try it. it seems to work well as long as its not applied to thick, if so the thicker spots have a yellowy appearence. ive been meaning to pic up another brand of basicaly the same stuff, thats used for sealing pictures which might solve the yellowing problem, ill let you guys know how it goes.

...anyway i strongly suggest that everyone take a trip to thier local hardware store as you can find all kinds of products that can be used for modeling that cost a fraction of what hobby shops charge.

Chris :wave:
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I recieved an email from the company Shamus pointed us at.
    I searched BONA and NONA and found a website for neither. Maybe later I'll try that number and get a price. Anybody else can call and post if they want to save me a call. FRED
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

What I do is dampen the paint brush (I don't skimp there, nothing but red sable or camel hair brushes in my paint shop) then tip it with with just a touch of my desired color. Then I dip it in water and run a streak the length of the car. I finish it by pulling the paint down in streaks. After it drys I dust it down with pastel chalks, then paint it with flat enamel. I'm always looking for cheaper alternatives to Testor's so I'll give your paint idea a try.
  4. lemscate

lemscate New Member

I use some acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby (I think it's Anita's) that comes in 2 oz bottles, 3 bottles for a dollar. They have a dozen shades of brown and gray, and other good earth tones. I've been using this paint for awhile now, and have found it to match any other brand or type of paint that I've tried for weathering.

Another type of paint that is extremely useful for me, probably not so much for everyone else, is brown concrete paint. The reason is that its primary pigment is iron, and I happen to model an iron ore hauling railroad. All my locomotives and rolling stock get some of it. Nothing like the actual thing for pigment! It's a good paint for old rust for any model, and perfect for an iron ore road.

A much better alternative to using water for thinning paint that I have heard somewhere and have successfully used is windshild wiper fluid. The blue or pink stuff. The color does not affect the paint, and it has much less surface tension than water, creating a smoother painted surface. Also, it evaporates much faster, so you don't have to wait and let the paint dry. It is possible to get near airbrush quality coverings using a good enough brush; it thins the paint that well!
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge since I don't appear to have done that already...that sounds like a good idea. At 79 cents a bottle where I'm at, I'll have to experiment with it as a bonding agent for ballast and ground foam as well.