chck this out

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by JVRR, Dec 2, 2005.

1. JVRR

JVRR Member

2. JVRR

JVRR Member

let me know if you cant get on the web site.
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Got the dreaded,"page cannot be displayed"
  4. JVRR

JVRR Member

okay I tried, tell me how to post a web link.
  5. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

You have two http's in your address....Think thats the problem.
  6. Marxed

Marxed Member

7. Lisap

Lisap New Member

Hey Josh, Love your quote:D , John 3:16 was the first verse I ever learned.:thumb:
  8. Oroka

Oroka Member

Maybe amazing, but not worth $18k. $3-4k maybe, but not $18k. There is what... maybe $2k at most in materials, so the guys time is worth $16 000? When my layout is complete, and if I dont want it anymore, I might sell it for... $500, not including my locos or rolling stock.
  9. siderod

siderod Member

More then 2 grand worth of materials there....lets note that the locomotives, power packs, buildings and rolling stock is all included. That must be worth $1500 - $2000 right there. A quality turn-table, lots of running (meaning lots of tracK) and what appears to be a professionally built table. All turnouts are powered, and the two power packs included arn't cheap packs. AND, there's $1000 worth of shipping cost included in the price!

No, it may not be worth $18 grand US, but it's worth more then you would think. The aforementioned could easly be over $7000, pushing $8000 in my opinion. If i put that much time and effort into it, i'd want to get something for my troubles! $10 to $12 grand would seem more reasonable, to me.

10. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

That sure is one nice layout.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  11. zedob

zedob Member

That is a nice layout, but I think I could do just as well and end up with alot more satisfaction for less than 18K. That's me, but I'd venture to say i'm in the top 90% of MRRs who feel that way. Of course, I don't travel alot or too busy to squeeze time into building a layout.

For someone who loves trains, but just can't find the time and has the money, it might be the way to go.

That's a steep starting bid. I would've started at loco and rolling stock cost. It's really the only thing that carries any value.

That layout will never truely be the new owner's own layout, just as a painting wouldn't be mine if I didn't paint it. IMHO, designing and building a layout is most of the fun (YMMV) and satifying.
  12. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I have to agree with zedob: nice layout, but more as a novelty item. to me the whole point of a layout lies in the construction of it, not the ownership. I know that some people get layouts custom built, ostensibly because they don't have the time to do it themselves, and this does give them a place to run their trains. However, it's my opinion that they're missing the enjoyment (and the learning experience) of doing it themselves. Of course, I feel the same way about ready-to-run and that seems to be a real area of growth in the model railroad industry, so maybe I'm the one missing the boat. To each his own, but for me, no thanks, even at $18.00.

13. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Wonder why there are no bids? Maybe someone's just waiting to snipe it for seventeen-five :D :D
  14. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Wonder why there are no bids? Maybe someone's just waiting to snipe it for seventeen-five. Gotta love their self-control ... :D :D
  15. ausien

ausien Active Member

A truely nice layout, but not for me, $18,000.00 price tag is not the reason I say that... the reason is pure and simple... My modeling may be very basic, and ruedemental, but IT IS MY modeling,and ITS MY FUN, the trains that I run, may be ready to run, but when I gain the know how, and the experance then we will see....sorry for being so blunt, but that is the way I see it..have a good one... steve
  16. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

About a year ago, there was a guy at a train show up in Adobe Mountain RR park in Phoenix selling a setup like that. I can guantee you it wasn't any 18 grand. Ray Marinaccio said that this guy was a member here at the Gauge, I cannot remember his name, the size of the layout inside the table, nor the price. But maybe Ray would.
  17. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Nice layout...

But I think I'll keep the 18 grand, & just build my own...
    It will probably never be that nice...I nay never even finish it...but I won't miss out on any of the fun! :)
  18. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Boy, can you imagin all the stuff you could buy for your RR with that 18 grand? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Besides, in our own minds, our own layouts are always better than anything one could buy outright, regardless of the cost.:thumb: :thumb: Someone with lots of disposable income might want this, but they must not be interested in modeling, just running trains I guess. Me, I'd rather build and model rather than run trains, although both are exciting, given a choice I prefer to create.:D
  19. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Man, I wish I had the money to buy it, too!!

I'd spend it on a new pickup truck :thumb: or maybe
    a motorcycle, or a travel trailer. :D :D