chck this out

Lisap

Nov 20, 2005
NH
Hey Josh, Love your quote:D , John 3:16 was the first verse I ever learned.:thumb:
Lisap

Oroka

Nov 6, 2005
Port Elgin, ON
Maybe amazing, but not worth $18k. $3-4k maybe, but not $18k. There is what... maybe $2k at most in materials, so the guys time is worth $16 000? When my layout is complete, and if I dont want it anymore, I might sell it for... $500, not including my locos or rolling stock.

Oroka,

More then 2 grand worth of materials there....lets note that the locomotives, power packs, buildings and rolling stock is all included. That must be worth $1500 - $2000 right there. A quality turn-table, lots of running (meaning lots of tracK) and what appears to be a professionally built table. All turnouts are powered, and the two power packs included arn't cheap packs. AND, there's $1000 worth of shipping cost included in the price!

No, it may not be worth $18 grand US, but it's worth more then you would think. The aforementioned could easly be over $7000, pushing $8000 in my opinion. If i put that much time and effort into it, i'd want to get something for my troubles! $10 to $12 grand would seem more reasonable, to me.

AR

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
That is a nice layout, but I think I could do just as well and end up with alot more satisfaction for less than 18K. That's me, but I'd venture to say i'm in the top 90% of MRRs who feel that way. Of course, I don't travel alot or too busy to squeeze time into building a layout.

For someone who loves trains, but just can't find the time and has the money, it might be the way to go.

That's a steep starting bid. I would've started at loco and rolling stock cost. It's really the only thing that carries any value.

That layout will never truely be the new owner's own layout, just as a painting wouldn't be mine if I didn't paint it. IMHO, designing and building a layout is most of the fun (YMMV) and satifying.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I have to agree with zedob: nice layout, but more as a novelty item. to me the whole point of a layout lies in the construction of it, not the ownership. I know that some people get layouts custom built, ostensibly because they don't have the time to do it themselves, and this does give them a place to run their trains. However, it's my opinion that they're missing the enjoyment (and the learning experience) of doing it themselves. Of course, I feel the same way about ready-to-run and that seems to be a real area of growth in the model railroad industry, so maybe I'm the one missing the boat. To each his own, but for me, no thanks, even at $18.00.

Wayne

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
A truely nice layout, but not for me, $18,000.00 price tag is not the reason I say that... the reason is pure and simple... My modeling may be very basic, and ruedemental, but IT IS MY modeling,and ITS MY FUN, the trains that I run, may be ready to run, but when I gain the know how, and the experance then we will see....sorry for being so blunt, but that is the way I see it..have a good one... steve

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
About a year ago, there was a guy at a train show up in Adobe Mountain RR park in Phoenix selling a setup like that. I can guantee you it wasn't any 18 grand. Ray Marinaccio said that this guy was a member here at the Gauge, I cannot remember his name, the size of the layout inside the table, nor the price. But maybe Ray would.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice layout...

But I think I'll keep the 18 grand, & just build my own...
It will probably never be that nice...I nay never even finish it...but I won't miss out on any of the fun! :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Drew1125 said:
Nice layout...

But I think I'll keep the 18 grand, & just build my own...
It will probably never be that nice...I nay never even finish it...but I won't miss out on any of the fun! :)
Boy, can you imagin all the stuff you could buy for your RR with that 18 grand? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Besides, in our own minds, our own layouts are always better than anything one could buy outright, regardless of the cost.:thumb: :thumb: Someone with lots of disposable income might want this, but they must not be interested in modeling, just running trains I guess. Me, I'd rather build and model rather than run trains, although both are exciting, given a choice I prefer to create.:D