changing scales

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by kronos, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kronos

kronos Member

as far as space craft goes I prefer 1/96 but I have several 1/144 shuttles can any one tell me how to rescale to 1/96 (im not any good with math in my opinion if you put 2 and 2 together you get 22):razz:
  2. kenw

kenw New Member

Image size = 144/96 x 100 = 150%

Simple as that :wink:
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Here's a scale calculator. There was another(my favorite), Ashrunner gave me the link, but it no longer works.
  4. kronos

kronos Member

Thanks guys youve been a lot of help!:grin:
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

6. Maurice

Maurice Member

You can work out ANY change of scale for yourself by putting the appropriate numbers into the following 2 liner.
    In this case the numbers are

Multiply by 144 to make it full size.
    Divide by 96 to make it 1/96

144/96 = 1. 5 (or 150%)
  7. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

That´s correct. for my own use, i´ve made much more simple:

What do i have divided by what do i want,

and it really works with every scale!:grin:
  8. Maurice

Maurice Member

No you don't. :)
    1/144 divided by 1/96 is 2/3.
    So you must be putting an extra step in the process that you are not admitting. :wink:
  9. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Let X be the original size of the subject
    let S1 be the scale from the denominator (i.e. 96, 144, 72)
    let L1 be the scaled length
    let S2 be the second scale from the denominator
    let L2 be the second scaled lenght,
    X/L1 = 1/S1 ==> X=L1/S1
    X/L2 = 1/S2 ==> X=L2/S2

What we want is the scale factor from L1 to L2, i.e. L2/L1

so, using the above expressions for X

L1/S1 = L2/S2
    ==> L2/L1 = S2/S1

So if going from 1/144 to 1/96, we have
    144/96 = 1.5, or 150%

Common sense comes in as a reasonableness check. If we just stand back and think, a model at 1/144 is going to be smaller than one at 1/96. So to go from 1/144 to 1/96, we have to make it larger, thus the scale factor we have to multiply by has to be greater than 1.0 or 100%.

10. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It might be wise to consider the thickness of the paper. In designing I consider the thickness of the paper to be 1pt. I design in Coreldraw and often can make lines for slots 1pt instead of hairline. If it needs to be two paper widths wide I do 2pts. This makes rescaling easy because the slots remain the thickness of the paper regardless of scale.

The problem though is when one surface of paper fits inside another. Like when there is a box inside a box. It gets more complicated when one surface goes over then under another. I resign without accounting for this. Then at the end when I know the scale, I shift the inner surfaces to be smaller.

I think that with an already finished design you would have to think about which surfaces need to be smaller and adjust them one at a time.
  11. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

With parts that fit inside other parts I try to make them adaptable so that they can be trimmed to fit if necessary. This means trying not to have three sides of an interior in a line. If you only have two sides joined then you can trimm a little from the outside. Once you know how much you had to trim off then you can adjust the design.
    My bugbear is designing an elliptical profile carriage roof. That tends to be tial and error:)

Robin Madge
  12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

That is a good way to solve the problem. There always seems to be some randomness in how parts fit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.