Changing road names

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by iis612, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. iis612

    iis612 Member

    I am not sure that this belongs in this forum, but I have a question...
    Does anyone know of a sound method of changing road names on power units?
    I have a 2-8-0 that has the UP road name on it, and I need to change it to either CNW or MILW. Any tricks, tips or tutorials would be hugely appreciated.
  2. doctorwayne

    doctorwayne Active Member

    If your loco is the Bachmann Spectrum version, methyl hydrate should remove the lettering. Just put a little on a rag and gently wipe over the lettering a few times. You can get methyl hydrate at any hardware store or home improvement place. Be sure to wear plastic gloves, as it can be absorbed through the skin. Another useful product for removing lettering is PollyScale Easy-Lift-Off, available at hobbyshops. Follow the directions on the can. When using either of these products, it is also possible to remove some of the paint beneath the lettering, which can be difficult to hide, even with repainting and new lettering, so always use a light touch.
    Methyl hydrate used to be my favourite for stripping most factory paint (Athearn and MDC freight cars in 5 minutes, with almost no scrubbing), but most manufacturers are using different paints nowadays, so its effectiveness is not guaranteed.

  3. iis612

    iis612 Member

    Thank you Wayne :)

Share This Page