Changing paint scheme on a painted loco

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Was reading the thread on painting an undecorated loco and decided to ask everyone's advise on a related subject.

What would your recommendations be for the best way to change the paint scheme on a Baldwin switcher? The paint scheme i have is not elaborate, but there is a stripe and there are several roadname and logo decals to be painted over. I'm concerned about obscuring and or removing the details depending upon how the paint is removed or prepped for the new paint scheme.

Thanks again for any help,
Ted

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
TR, I have always soaked the body parts in automotive brake fluid for an hour or so, then scrubbed it with a medium stiff brush in the sink under warm running water. Takes everything right off. I have done this with cars and locos made by Kato, Life-Like, Atlas, Arnold and Bachman. If you have a different brand you might want to test a spot first although I don't think you will have a problem.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Also have heard that Pine Sol (straight up) works.

Sometimes.

Since what works or not and what destroys the shell or not depends on who made the shell, exactly what the plastic is, what kind of paint was used and how it was applied, and how the lettering, etc. was applied, I think it would always be wise to do some kind of test, unless you're absolutely sure.